George FitzGerald, 16th Earl of Kildare (23 January 1612 – 29 May 1660) was known as the "Fairy Earl", apparently for no other reason than that his portrait, which is extant, was painted on a small scale." He was the son of Thomas FitzGerald and Frances Randolph and grandson of Edward FitzGerald (born 1502, brother of Gerald FitzGerald, 14th Earl of Kildare) and Agnes Leigh.
He married Lady Joan Boyle (1611-1657) on 15 August 1630. She was the daughter of Richard Boyle, 1st Earl of Cork and his second wife Catherine Fenton. George and Joan had three sons and six daughters. One of the sons (Robert, the eldest) and two of the daughters died young. One more of the daughters, Catherine, did not marry.
- Wentworth FitzGerald, 17th Earl of Kildare (1632 – 5 March 1664) married Lady Elizabeth Holles.
- Lady Eleanor Fitzgerald (Christened 18 May 1634 – 3 August 1681 married Walter Borrowes.
- Robert Fitzgerald (born 1638), married Mary Clotworthy and was the father of Robert FitzGerald, 19th Earl of Kildare.
- Lady Elizabeth Fitzgerald (1642 – died c. 1697/98) married Callaghan MacCarty, 3rd Earl of Clancarty, and subsequently Sir William Davys, Lord Chief Justice of Ireland.
- Frances married Sir James Shaen, 1st Baronet.
- booksulster.com Archived 28 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine 8 Accessed May 2007
- Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900. .
- Ohlmeyer, Janet. Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/58154. Missing or empty
|title=(help) (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- McGrath, C. I. "Shaen, Sir James". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/58154. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Humphrysfamilytree.com[permanent dead link] Accessed 8 May 2007
- thepeerage.com Accessed 7 March 2008
- familysearch.org Accessed 7 March 2008
- booksulster.com Accessed 8 May 2007
|Peerage of Ireland|
| Earl of Kildare
1620 – 1660
| Baron Offaly|
1658 – 1660
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|