General of the Army (Indonesian: Jenderal Besar), was the highest rank of the Indonesian Army. Within the Indonesian Armed Forces ranking system, it was the equivalent of admiral of the fleet (Indonesian: laksamana besar) and marshal of the air force (Indonesian: marsekal besar). Those ranks were honorary and did not provide additional authority or responsibility.
- Sudirman, also styled Supreme Commander (Indonesian: panglima besar), the commander of the armed forces during the war of independence and a national hero. The rank was granted posthumously.
- Abdul Haris Nasution, a national hero, twice appointed chief of staff of the army, and a survivor of an assassination attempt in the 1965 coup attempt.
- Suharto, the second President of Indonesia. The rank was bestowed during his presidency.
- "Peraturan Pemerintah Republik Indonesia Nomor 32 Tahun 1997 Tentang Perubahan Peraturan Pemerintah Nomor 6 Tahun 1990 Tentang Administrasi Prajurit Angkatan Bersenjata Republik Indonesia" [Government Regulation No 32 Year 1997 Regarding Revision of Government Regulation No 6 Year 1990 Regarding Regarding Administration of Armed Forces Personnel]. No. 32 of 1997 (in Indonesian). Government of Indonesia.
- Eklöf, Stefan (1999). Indonesian Politics in Crisis: The Long Fall of Suharto, 1996-1998. NIAS Press. p. 104. ISBN 8787062690.
- "Peraturan Pemerintah Republik Indonesia Nomor 39 Tahun 2010 Tentang Administrasi Prajurit Tentara Nasional Indonesia" [Government Regulation No 39 Year 2010 Regarding Administration of Armed Forces Personnel]. No. 39 of 2010 (PDF) (in Indonesian). Government of Indonesia.