Flag of a general
Rank insignia of a general
|Service branch||Indian Army|
|Next higher rank||Field marshal|
|Next lower rank||Lieutenant general|
|Equivalent ranks||Admiral (Indian Navy)|
Air chief marshal (Indian Air Force)
Equivalent ranks of Indian military
|Indian Navy||Indian Army||Indian Air Force|
|Field marshal||Marshal of|
the Indian Air Force
|Admiral||General||Air chief marshal|
|Vice admiral||Lieutenant general||Air marshal|
|Rear admiral||Major general||Air vice marshal|
|Commander||Lieutenant colonel||Wing commander|
|Lieutenant commander||Major||Squadron leader|
|Sub lieutenant||Lieutenant||Flying officer|
Junior commissioned ranks
|Subedar major[Alt 1]||Master warrant officer|
|Subedar[Alt 2]||Warrant officer|
|Naib subedar[Alt 3]||Junior warrant officer|
|Seaman 1||Lance naik||Leading aircraftsman|
General is a four-star general officer rank in the Indian Army. It is the highest active rank in the Indian Army. General ranks above the three-star rank of lieutenant general and below the five-star rank of field marshal, which is largely a war-time or ceremonial rank.
The rank is held by the Chief of the Army Staff (COAS), the professional head of the Indian Army, and may also be held by the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS). Until 1 January 2020, when the post of Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS) was established, the COAS was the only officer to hold the rank of full general. Since the creation of the post and the appointment of General Bipin Rawat as the first CDS, there are two serving full generals for the first time in Independent India.
The gorget patches of a general are:
- CDS - maroon patches with four golden stars and golden laurel wreath
- COAS - crimson patches with four golden stars and golden laurel wreath
Appointment and term length
The term length of the Chief of Defence Staff is three years or until the age of 65 of the holder, whichever is earlier. 
Chief of the Army Staff reaches superannuation upon three years in the office or at the age of 62, whichever is earlier. 
Order of precedence
A general ranks at No. 12 on the Indian order of precedence, along with the Chiefs of Staff of the Indian Navy and Indian Air Force. A general is at pay level 18, equivalent to Cabinet Secretary of India (at No. 11 on the warrant of precedence), with a monthly pay of ₹250,000 (US$3,500).
- Chief of Defence Staff
- Chief of the Army Staff
- List of serving generals of the Indian Army
- Army ranks and insignia of India
- Philip, Snehesh Alex (31 December 2019). "'Quintessential Army man' General Manoj Mukund Naravane takes over as chief". ThePrint.
- "The Official Home Page of the Indian Army". www.indianarmy.nic.in.
- DelhiDecember 29, Manjeet Singh Negi New; December 29, Manjeet Singh Negi New; Ist, Manjeet Singh Negi New. "Maximum age limit for Chief of Defence Staff put at 65". India Today.
- Gurung, Shaurya Karanbir (29 December 2019). "Government amends rules to allow Chief of Defence Staff to serve up to maximum age of 65 years". The Economic Times.
- "President's Secretariat" (PDF). Office of the President of India. Rajya Sabha. 1979-08-26. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- (PDF). 20 November 2015 https://web.archive.org/web/20151120092637/http://7cpc.india.gov.in/pdf/sevencpcreport.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 20 November 2015. Missing or empty
- DelhiJune 29, India Today Web Desk New; June 29, India Today Web Desk New; Ist, India Today Web Desk New. "7th Pay Commission cleared: What is the Pay Commission? How does it affect salaries?". India Today.