Collins in 2013
Gemma Clare Collins
31 January 1981
Gemma Clare Collins (born 31 January 1981) is an English media personality and businesswoman. In 2011, she began appearing on the ITVBe reality series The Only Way Is Essex. Following a brief appearance on I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! (2014), Collins has appeared in various television shows including Celebrity Big Brother (2016), Celebs Go Dating (2018), and Dancing on Ice (2019). In 2019, she began starring in her own reality series and hosting a podcast on BBC Sounds.
Collins was born on 31 January 1981 in Romford, London, and attended the Sylvia Young Theatre School. She also attended Frances Bardsley Academy. Before her career in television, she was a used car sales person.
The Only Way Is Essex
In 2011, Julie Childs, mother of Collins' friend Amy, informed producers of the ITV2 reality series The Only Way Is Essex about Collins, who was a used car sales woman at the time. They went to Collins' house and then filmed her and her friends for two weeks. After going back to work selling cars for a week, she was hired and joined the cast of The Only Way Is Essex from its second series in 2011; her first ever scene was selling a car to Kirk Norcross. Her mother Joan joined in the fifth series in April 2012.
In November 2014, she took part in the fourteenth series of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! on ITV. After she refused to parachute into the jungle along with her cast mates, she withdrew after spending 72 hours in the jungle, which led to widespread bad publicity and ridicule. This was allegedly due to health issues.
On 5 January 2016, she entered the Celebrity Big Brother house to participate in the seventeenth series. On 2 February 2016, she became the seventh housemate to be evicted, having received the fewest votes to be saved, spending a total of 29 days in the house. In 2017, she returned to Big Brother, as a special guest for a shopping task, alongside fellow ex-contestants Marnie Simpson and Nicola McLean.
In October 2017, Collins presented the BBC Radio 1 Teen Award for Best TV Show to Love Island, and after announcing the winner, she fell through the opening in the stage. The clip later went viral on social media. In an interview with Irish News, Collins said "The seriousness of it is, it could have been really fatal".
In 2018, she appeared on Celebrity 100% Hotter and the fourth series of Celebs Go Dating. The same year, Collins appeared in Gemma Collins: Diva España, a one-off reality television special aired on 29 August 2018. Collins also took part in Celebrity MasterChef, and guest starred in a promotional advert for Netflix's Orange Is the New Black.
In 2019, Collins took part in the eleventh series of Dancing on Ice, alongside professional partner Matt Evers. Collins was the fifth celebrity to be eliminated in Week 6, after a skate-off against Ryan Sidebottom.
In April 2019, Collins began filming for her own reality series, Gemma Collins: Diva Forever. The series premiered on 7 August 2019 on ITVBe. The pilot episode premiered to a total of 673,038 viewers, and was the most watched series on ITVBe in that week.
In June 2013, Collins released her debut autobiography Basically: My Real Life as an Essex Girl, which became a bestseller in its first week of release. In 2018, she released her second book, titled The GC: How to Be a Diva, in which she provides advice and self help for women to gain confidence. In an interview on Loose Women, she admitted to using a ghostwriter.
Collins opened up an eponymous boutique in Brentwood, Essex, and has since opened up a pop up shop in Marbella. Collins has also collaborated with fashion website Boohoo.com on a collection of swimwear for plus-sized women in 2018.
In September 2018, Collins recorded a cover of "Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)" as part of Strongbow's university-based reality series, ReFreshers Week presented by Strongbow. In November 2018, she was featured on Tallia Storm's song "It's the GC" recorded for the advert of Collins' BooHoo collection. The following month, she came third on the BBC Christmas celebrity special of the singing series All Together Now. In 2019, she began working with Naughty Boy, and signed a record deal with Universal Music.
|2011–present||The Only Way Is Essex||Series regular|
|2014||I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!||Contestant; withdrew|
|2016||Celebrity Big Brother||Series 17|
|2016||In Therapy||1 episode|
|2017||Sugar Free Farm||Participant|
|2017||Big Brother||Guest housemate|
|2018||Celebs Go Dating||Main cast|
|2018||Gemma Collins: Diva España||Television special|
|2018||All Together Now, Celebrities||Finalist|
|2019||Dancing on Ice||Contestant; series 11|
|2019–present||Gemma Collins: Diva Forever||Lead role|
- @OnlyWayIsEssex (31 January 2019). "🎉Happy Birthday Gemma! 🎉 It's @MissGemCollins 38th birthday! There's no one quite like the GC and we love her 😻😻 #TeamGC #TOWIE" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Aitkenhead, Decca (8 September 2017). "Towie's Gemma Collins: 'I felt more beautiful before I went on TV. I get so much criticism now'". The Guardian. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Gemma Collins was bullied and beaten before she found fame". www.entertainmentdaily.co.uk. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Knight, Kathryn (6 April 2018). "TOWIE cast's real jobs: What do the likes of Amber Turner, Pete Wicks and James Lock actually do for a living?". OK! Magazine. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- Meyler, Piers (6 January 2014). "TOWIE's Gemma Collins' top job tips for youngsters". Brentwood Gazette. Archived from the original on 8 January 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Fletcher, Alex (12 April 2012). "'The Only Way Is Essex' axes Dino and Georgio, hires Gemma Collins mum". Digital Spy. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "I'm a Celebrity lineup confirmed: Michael Buerk, Kendra, Craig Charles". Digital Spy. 11 November 2014.
- "Gemma Collins leaves the I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! jungle". itv.com. 19 November 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- Welsh, Daniel (6 January 2016). "Biggest Reality TV Repeat Offenders, Including 'Celebrity Big Brother' Contestant Gemma Collins, Kerry Katona and Katie Hopkins (PICS)". The Huffington Post. AOL. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Marnie Simpson and Gemma Collins are entering Big Brother 2017 for a special task". Metro. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- "Gemma Collins fell down a trap door at the BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards". The Independent. 23 October 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Gemma Collins 'considering suing the BBC' over dramatic stage fall". Evening Standard. 24 October 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "New! Magazine". www.new-magazine.co.uk. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Gemma Collins could have fallen into Strictly Come Dancing". Irish News. 30 October 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Gemma Collins tries to ditch the neon in Celebrity 100% Hotter". Digital Spy. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- "Gemma Collins Stood Up Her Date In Paris And Everyone Is Fuming". Grazia. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- "Gemma Collins: Diva Espana - what time is it on TV?". Radio Times. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- "Gemma Collins joins cast of Orange Is The New Black in Litchfield Prison". Metro. 18 July 2018. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- Harp, Justin (6 November 2018). "Dancing on Ice reveals Gemma Collins' professional partner". Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "It's Happened – Gemma Collins Has Left Dancing On Ice". HuffPost UK. 10 February 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Gemma Collins to start filming reality show Diva Forever". www.msn.com. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Gemma Collins to start filming reality show Diva Forever". FemaleFirst. 3 April 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Four-screen dashboard". Broadcasters' Audience Research Board. Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- "Gemma Collins autobiography 'Basically' is a bestseller!". gemmacollinsofficial.com. 28 May 2013. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "A fun read? Towie's Gemma Collins discusses her new guide to being a diva". The Irish News. 5 July 2018. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- Pearce, Tilly (27 June 2018). "Gemma Collins admits that her book was ghost-written after Now Magazine interview". Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- Bourne, Dianne (14 May 2018). "Gemma Collins channels Baywatch in new Boohoo swimwear range". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- Curtis, Liam (5 September 2019). "Gemma Collins flaunts new Diva Pink perfume on ITV's Diva Forever". Reality Titbit. Retrieved 8 March 2020.
- Darvill, Josh (14 August 2019). "The Gemma Collins Podcast launches on BBC Sounds". TellyMix. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- Rosseinsky, Kate (14 August 2019). "Gemma Collins launches 'no-holds barred' podcast with BBC Radio 1". Evening Standard. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- Davies, Megan (19 September 2019). "TOWIE's Gemma Collins would like to make a bid for the Christmas number one". Digital Spy. Retrieved 25 August 2019.
- Chase, Stephanie (16 November 2018). "Gemma Collins releases a single – but she isn't actually singing on it". Digital Spy. Retrieved 25 August 2019.
- Harp, Justin (24 December 2018). "Gemma Collins shocks All Together Now viewers and even boyfriend James Argent with singing ability". Digital Spy. Retrieved 25 August 2019.
- Copsey, Rob (9 August 2019). "Gemma Collins for Christmas Number 1? The reality TV star teams up with Naughty Boy for her debut single Come Home". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 25 August 2019.