Gates Mills, Ohio
Location of Ohio in the United States
|• Mayor||Karen Schneider|
|• Total||9.10 sq mi (23.57 km2)|
|• Land||8.97 sq mi (23.23 km2)|
|• Water||0.13 sq mi (0.34 km2)|
|Elevation||719 ft (219 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||253.1/sq mi (97.7/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1064705|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 9.10 square miles (23.57 km2), of which 8.97 square miles (23.23 km2) is land and 0.13 square miles (0.34 km2) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,270 people, 919 households, and 698 families living in the village. The population density was 253.1 inhabitants per square mile (97.7/km2). There were 992 housing units at an average density of 110.6 per square mile (42.7/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 93.0% White, 1.3% African American, 0.1% Native American, 4.0% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.9% of the population.
There were 919 households, of which 23.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.8% were married couples living together, 4.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 24.0% were non-families. 21.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.84.
The median age in the village was 52.5 years. 18.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 13.4% were from 25 to 44; 39% were from 45 to 64; and 23.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 50.7% male and 49.3% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,493 people, 925 households, and 750 families living in the village. The population density was 274.2 people per square mile (105.9/km2). There were 974 housing units at an average density of 107.1 per square mile (41.4/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 94.10% White, 0.92% African American, 0.20% Native American, 3.49% Asian, 0.12% from other races, and 1.16% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.60% of the population.
There were 925 households, out of which 33.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.9% were married couples living together, 4.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.9% were non-families. 16.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the village, the population was spread out, with 24.1% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 17.6% from 25 to 44, 35.3% from 45 to 64, and 18.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females there were 97.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.9 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $133,605, and the median income for a family was $161,350. Males had a median income of $100,000 versus $50,761 for females. The per capita income for the village was $74,732. About 1.0% of families and 1.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 4.1% of those age 65 or over.
Gates Mills is a part of the Mayfield City School District, the first three being Highland Heights, Mayfield Heights, and Mayfield Village. Gates Mills is home to one of Mayfield's smallest elementary school, Gates Mills Elementary.
One private school, Gilmour Academy, is located in Gates Mills. Gilmour is a Roman Catholic college preparatory school with a lower, middle, and high school on one campus. The upper school campus for Hawken School has a Gates Mills mailing address, but is actually located in neighboring Chester Township.
- Eric Carmen, singer/songwriter
- Lauren Davis, professional tennis player
- Bob Feller, Hall of Fame pitcher for the Cleveland Indians
- O. J. McDuffie, wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins
- Melanie Valerio, gold-medal-winning 4 x 100 Freestyle Relay swimmer at the 1996 Summer Olympics
- Mo Vaughn, First baseman and Designated hitter for the Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and New York Mets, 1995 Major League Baseball MVP
- Chris Korb, professional soccer player
- Robert Schnitzer, banking executive and bank vice president who developed revolutionary processes in the banking industry
- Peter Johnson, sports executive
- http://www.drelocation.com/ohio/cuyahogaco/gatesmills.htm Retrieved 8 November 2006
- https://www.gatesmillsvillage.com/government/village-officials. Retrieved 2019-05-18. Missing or empty
|title=(help) Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-07-14. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Gates Mills village, Ohio". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- Overman, William Daniel (1958). Ohio Town Names. Akron, OH: Atlantic Press. p. 50.
- "GATES, HOLSEY (HALSEY)". Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Case Western Reserve University. Retrieved 7 February 2020.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.