A gate guardian or gate guard is a withdrawn piece of equipment, often an aircraft, armoured vehicle, artillery piece, or locomotive, mounted on a plinth and used as a static display near to and forming a symbolic display of "guarding" the main entrance to a site, especially a military base. Commonly, gate guardians outside airbases are decommissioned examples of aircraft that were once based there, or still are.
Examples of gate guardians include the following:
In Australia, gate guards are also often found outside Returned and Services League of Australia (RSL) clubs.
- Mounted atop the entrance gate to Pablo Escobar's ranch, Hacienda Nápoles in Puerto Triunfo, Antioquia (320 km (200 mi) NW of Bogotá), and 180 km (111 miles) east of Medellín, is a replica of the Piper airplane (tail number HK-617-P) that flew the drug lord's first shipment of cocaine to the United States.
- Atlas Impala at Air Force Base Ysterplaat.
- Twin Eland Mk7 Armoured Cars at the SANDF Legal Satellite Office, Air Force Base Swartkop.
- Rooikat and M3 Stuart at 1 Special Service Battalion, Tempe Base.
- Eland Mk7 at School of Armour, Tempe Base.
- 25 Pounder howitzers at 48 Regiment Royal Artillery, Thorney Island and two on loan from the Honourable Artillery Company outside Admiralty House (the official residence of the Commander Joint Forces Command) at Northwood Headquarters.
- Avro Shackleton at RAF St Mawgan.
- BAC Jet Provost at RAF Linton-on-Ouse.
- Bristol Bloodhound surface-to-air guided missile at Hudson House Territorial Army Centre, Catford (Home of 221 (EOD) (V) Field Squadron, 101 (City of London) Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers).
- C-47 Dakota at Headquarters 16 Air Assault Brigade, Merville Barracks.
- De Havilland Comet at RAF Lyneham.
- FV434 Combat Recovery and Repair Vehicle and Gazelle Helicopter at Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College.
- Gloster Javelin at Staverton Airport and XA634 RAF Leeming (purchased by Gloucestershire Jet Age Museum in January 2015.).
- Handley Page Victor K.2 XH673 at RAF Marham.
- Hawker Hunter at RAF Halton and WV396 at RAF Valley.
- Hawker Siddeley Harrier at RAF Stafford and RAF Wittering (visible from the northbound A1).
- Hurricane (replica) at the former RAF North Weald, with the markings of the No. 56 Squadron RAF, as flown by No. 249 Squadron RAF pilot Thomas 'Ginger' Neil during the Battle of Britain in September 1940.
- McDonnell Douglas Phantom at RAF Boulmer.
- Panavia Tornado at Leuchars Station
- BAE Nimrod at RAF Kinloss.
- SEPECAT Jaguar from the former RAF Coltishall, now named "Spirit of Coltishall" and displayed at Norfolk County Council.
- SEPECAT Jaguar at RAF Cosford - installed in May 2017, but is outside the station headquarters, so not visible from the main gate.
- Spitfire (replica) at Edinburgh Airport.
- Spitfire (replica) at RAF Benson.
- Spitfire and Hurricane (replicas) at RAF Uxbridge.
- Spitfire and Hurricane at RAF Biggin Hill.
- Panavia Tornado at RAF Marham.
- Panavia Tornado F3 at RAF Leeming (replaced Gloster Javelin in 2015).
- A 40% scale replica of Concorde had been located at the main road entrance to Heathrow Airport until March 2007, when it was moved to Brooklands Museum, Surrey. At Heathrow Airport, that Concorde model has been replaced by a model of an Airbus A380 in Emirates livery. In September 2012, the Concorde was finally installed at the main entrance to the whole Brooklands site.
- Chinook helicopter RAF Odiham
- BAe Hawk T1A, XX247, at RAF Woodvale
United States of America
- Bell UH-1H Iroquois s/n 70-16218 at Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut.
- Boeing B-47E Stratojet s/n 53-4213 at McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kansas.
- Boeing KC-135A Stratotanker s/n 55-3118 at McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kansas. #1 KC-135 - City of Renton.
- Convair F-102A Delta Dagger s/n 56-1264 at Bradley Air National Guard Base in Windsor Locks, Connecticut.
- Fairchild Republic A-10A Thunderbolt II s/n 79-0103 at Bradley Air National Guard Base in Windsor Locks, Connecticut.
- Lockheed A-12 s/n 60-6931 at George Bush Center for Intelligence in Langley, Virginia.
- Lockheed F-104C Starfighter s/n 56-0919 at Georgia Air National Guard in Brunswick, Georgia.
- Lockheed F-104N Starfighter registration N811NA at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, Arizona.
- McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II BuNo 162969 at MCAS Cherry Point in Havelock, North Carolina.
- North American F-100D Super Sabre s/n 55-3805 at Bradley Air National Guard Base in Windsor Locks, Connecticut.
- "A-6 Intruder (A-6E) Gate Guardian". Wikimapia.
- "A-7 Corsair II (A-7) Gate Guardian USN NAS Atlanta". Wikimapia. Atlanta, Georgia. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- Arbuckle, Alex Q. (August 29, 1989). "Hacienda Nápoles: What do you buy the drug lord who has everything? A zoo".
- "BBC News - Gloucestershire Jet Age Museum buys Gloster Javelin". BBC Online. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Gate Guardian, RAF Valley, accessed 2009-11-10
- Marshall, Chris, ed. (Autumn 2017). "Cosford's Gate Guardian". Cosford Grapevine. Rushden: Forces publishing: 25. OCLC 751026701.
- "Edinburgh Airport Spitfire saved by devoted pilot". JPIMedia. Edinburgh Evening News. 20 May 2014. Retrieved 12 April 2019.
- "Fundraising drive begins to replace rotting gate guardians". Newsshopper. RAF Biggin Hill, UK. September 12, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- "Iconic Tornado returns to guard the gates of Leeming". www.raf.mod.uk. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "HEATHROW MODEL MOVE". CONCORDE SST. 2007.
- "Concorde moved from Heathrow Airport to Brooklands Museum". Brooklands Museum. September 2012.
- "Out of Service British Military Aircraft". Demobbed. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- Regan, Pat (28 November 2017). "RAF Woodvale's new Gate Guardian - UPDATED". On The Spot (OTS) News Southport. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- "Bradley - IAP, Connecticut". US Demobbed. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "McConnell AFB, Kansas". US Demobbed. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Bradley - ANG, Connecticut". US Demobbed. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Langley CIA, Virginia". US Demobbed. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Brunswick - Glynco Jetport, Georgia". US Demobbed. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Prescott, Arizona". US Demobbed. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Hawker Siddeley-McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II, s/n 162969 USN, c/n 512096". Aerial Visuals. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gate guardians (military monuments).|