August 6, 1946 |
New York City, New York
|Alma mater||Clarkson College of Technology
University of Rochester
|Institutions||Georgia Institute of Technology|
Gary Benjamin Schuster (born August 6, 1946) was the interim president of the Georgia Institute of Technology, a position he held from July 1, 2008, when former president G. Wayne Clough stepped down, until April 1, 2009, when George P. "Bud" Peterson was named Georgia Tech's permanent president. He still holds the office Vasser Woolley Chair of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
Early life and education
University of Illinois
Schuster was a faculty member at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for 20 years. He also served as Head of the Department of Chemistry in the UIUC College of Engineering from 1989 to 1994.
Schuster became Dean of the Georgia Institute of Technology College of Sciences and professor of chemistry and biochemistry in 1994.
He became Provost in 2006.
He was named Interim President on April 4, 2008, and assumed the office on July 1, 2008. On April 1, 2009, Schuster stepped down from the position as George P. "Bud" Peterson took over as the Institute's permanent president.
Honors and awards
- Charles Holmes Herty Medal (2006)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2004)
- Chancellor's Award, University System of Georgia (1998)
- Arthur C. Cope Scholar Award (1994)
- Paul Flory - IBM Fellowship
- American Men & Women of Science - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- "Biography: Interim President Gary B. Schuster, Ph.D." Georgia Institute of Technology. Archived from the original on 2008-04-16. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Faculty: Gary B. Schuster". Georgia Tech School of Chemistry & Biochemistry. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Gary Schuster Named Georgia Tech Interim President" (Press release). Georgia Institute of Technology. 2008-04-04. Archived from the original on 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- Fan, Vivian (2008-06-27). "Clough departs; Schuster begins interim presidency". The Technique. Archived from the original on December 1, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Faculty Honors & Awards". Georgia Tech School of Chemistry & Biochemistry. Archived from the original on 2008-10-04. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Arthur C. Cope Scholar Awards". American Chemical Society. Archived from the original on 2011-08-11. Retrieved 2008-10-07.