G. B. Buckley
George Bent Buckley
Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England
|Died||26 April 1962 aged 77|
Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, England
|Known for||Cricket historian|
George Bent Buckley cricket historian and an authority on the early days of the game.(1885 – 26 April 1962) was an English surgeon and a celebrated
Buckley was born in Saddleworth, Yorkshire the son of Arthur and Jane Buckley, his father was a solicitor. A surgeon by profession, he won the Military Cross in 1916 for working under fire when he was serving with the Royal Army Medical Corps in the First World War. He was a senior surgeon at Manchester Royal Infirmary and member of the Manchester Medical Society. Photographs of him as a surgeon and soldier (prisoner of war) are held in the University of Manchester Library Image Collections.
After he retired, he devoted his time to researching early cricket history and travelled all over England to visit local libraries. He collected a mass of cricket historiana from old newspapers and dutifully noted every reference he could find relating to 18th century cricket. His researches were consolidated in his two classic books: Fresh Light on Eighteenth Century Cricket (1935) and Fresh Light on Pre-Victorian Cricket (1937).
He moved to Weston-super-Mare in 1938 and lived in a pleasant Victorian house just a stone's throw from the local cricket ground.
John Arlott states in the 1980 version of Barclay's World of Cricket that Mr Buckley's researches were continued in volumes of photo-reproduced typescript and manuscript, produced under the aegis of Rowland Bowen in 1960. It is probable that even more notes by Buckley still exist unpublished.
Works by G. B. Buckley
- G. B. Buckley, Fresh Light on 18th Century Cricket, Cotterell, 1935. OCLC 23450280
- G. B. Buckley, Fresh Light on Pre-Victorian Cricket, Cotterell, 1937. OCLC 23469107
- "Supplement to the London Gazette 25 November, 1916. 11533" (PDF). Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "RAMC profile of: George Bent Buckley M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P." RAMC in the Great War. Royal Army Medical Corps WW1. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Search Results: All Fields equal to 'Dr and George and Bent and Buckley'". University of Manchester Library. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- Barclay's World of Cricket - 2nd Edition, 1980, Collins Publishers, ISBN 0-00-216349-7, p. 575.