G. Alvin Massenburg
|48th Speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates|
January 6, 1947 – January 11, 1950
|Preceded by||Thomas B. Stanley|
|Succeeded by||E. Blackburn Moore|
|Member of the Virginia House of Delegates for Elizabeth City and Hampton|
January 13, 1926 – January 11, 1950
|Preceded by||Harry R. Houston|
|Succeeded by||Victor P. Wilson|
George Alvin Massenburg
September 19, 1894
Hampton, Virginia, U.S.
|Died||November 25, 1968 (aged 74)|
Hampton, Virginia, U.S.
|Branch/service||United States Coast Guard|
|Years of service||1942–1945|
|Unit||U.S. Coast Guard Reserve|
Massenburg was born in Hampton, Virginia to Virginius and Virginia Massenburg. He left high school after two years for an electrical engineering apprenticeship. He became a maritime pilot in the area of Hampton Roads and the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, eventually becoming president of the Virginia Pilot Association. He held a commission in the United States Coast Guard Reserve, rising to the rank of captain during the World War II era.
He married Carrie Wood of Hampton October 19, 1918.
Massenburg first entered the House of Delegates in 1926. He became Democratic floor leader from 1936, succeeding Ashton Dovell when he became speaker, and served until becoming speaker himself. By 1940 he had become chair of the Privileges and Elections committee. He succeeded Thomas B. Stanley as Speaker in 1947, after Stanley's election to the United States House of Representatives. He retired from the House in 1950.
From 1948–52 Massenburg was chair of the State Democratic Committee. He was a delegate to the 1948 and 1952 Democratic National Conventions. In 1956 he was an unsuccessful candidate for presidential elector in support of Adlai Stevenson and Estes Kefauver.
- Jamerson, p. 137
- "Virginia House of Delegates; Session 1940; Massenburg, George Alvin". Virginia House of Delegates. Archived from the original on 2011-05-24. Retrieved 2009-01-28.
- "Massenburg, G. Alvin". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved 2009-01-28.
- "George Alvin Massenburg". Find A Grave. Retrieved 2009-01-28.
- Jamerson, Bruce F., Clerk of the House of Delegates, supervising (2007). Speakers and Clerks of the Virginia House of Delegates, 1776-2007. Richmond, Virginia: Virginia House of Delegates.
- "Past member search; George Alvin Massenburg". Virginia House of Delegates. Archived from the original on 2011-05-24.
- "The Political Graveyard".