|Nutritional value per 113g|
|Energy||630 kJ (150 kcal)|
|†Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults. |
Fried potatoes are a dish – or component of other dishes, such as Bauernfrühstück – essentially consisting of potatoes which have been fried, or deep-fried, in hot cooking oil, often with the addition of salt and/or other seasonings. They are often served as a side dish.
One study, from the National Research Council in Padova, Italy, showed a link between eating fried potatoes and early death. The study suggested that the risk of an early death was twice as high among those who eat fried potations cooked in trans-fat oil two or more times a week when compared to those who avoid the dish. However, this link may be caused by other factors such as obesity, inactivity, or high salt intake which are usually associated with people who eat a lot of fried potatoes and it is argued that the study proves no link between early death and eating fried potatoes.
List of fried potato dishes
- French fries/chips
- German fries (Bratkartoffeln)
- Hash browns – grated or shredded potatoes that are fried in oil
- Home fries – referred to as fried potatoes (UK and regional US), it is a basic potato dish made by pan- or skillet-frying chunked, sliced, wedged or diced potatoes that are sometimes unpeeled and may have been par-cooked by boiling, baking, steaming, or microwaving
- Lyonnaise potatoes – a French dish prepared with sliced pan-fried potatoes and thinly sliced onions that are sautéed in butter with parsley
- Papa rellena (English: stuffed potatoes) – a Latin American dish prepared using a baked potato dough that is stuffed with various fillings
- Patatas bravas – a Spanish dish typically prepared using white potatoes that have been cut into irregular shapes of about 2 centimeters, then fried in oil and served warm with a sauce such as a spicy tomato sauce or an aioli.
- Potato chips/crisps
- Potato waffle – can be fried, baked or grilled
- Potatoes O'Brien – consists of pan-fried potatoes along with green and red bell peppers
- Rösti – a Swiss dish
- Potato pancake – shallow-fried pancakes of grated or ground potato, flour and egg, often flavored with grated garlic or onion and seasoning.
- Boxty – a traditional Irish potato pancake
- Fried jicamas – alternative Mexican potato used in soups and stir-fried dishes, and as a substitute for traditional potatoes in low carbohydrate diets
- "Calories in Home Prepared Fried Potatoes – Calories and Nutrition Facts". MyFitnessPal.com. January 20, 2016. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- Scutti, Susan (June 14, 2017). "Eating fried potatoes linked to higher risk of death, study says". CNN.
- "Fried Potatoes Linked to Early Death Risk". WebMD. Retrieved 2018-04-26.
- Smith, A.F. (2013). Food and Drink in American History: A "Full Course" Encyclopedia [3 Volumes]: A "Full Course" Encyclopedia. EBSCO ebook academic collection. ABC-CLIO. p. 370. ISBN 978-1-61069-233-5. Retrieved April 23, 2018.