|Other short titles||Freedom for Russia and Emerging Eurasian Democracies and Open Markets Support Act of 1992|
|Long title||An Act to support freedom and open markets in the independent states of the former Soviet Union, and for other purposes.|
|Nicknames||American Agribusiness Centers and Practitioners Exchange Act of 1992|
|Enacted by||the 102nd United States Congress|
|Effective||October 24, 1992|
|Statutes at Large||106 Stat. 3320|
|Titles amended||22 U.S.C.: Foreign Relations and Intercourse|
|U.S.C. sections created||22 U.S.C. ch. 67 § 5801 et seq.|
The FREEDOM Support Act of 1992 (Freedom for Russia and Emerging Eurasian Democracies and Open Markets Support Act, FSA, HR 282) is an act passed by the United States Congress. It is not to be confused with the Iran Freedom and Support Act of 2005 (S 333).
Formation of the Act
Provisions of the Act
Section 102 of the FREEDOM Support Act creates the position of a Coordinator within the Department of State.
In 1992, funding from the FREEDOM Support Act and USAID helped create American Business Centers (ABCs) under the United States Commercial Service, designed to operate in the developing markets of Russia and the Newly Independent States to stimulate economic growth and create jobs in the United States.
- Peters, Gerhard; Woolley, John T. "George Bush: "Statement on Signing the FREEDOM Support Act," October 24, 1992". The American Presidency Project. University of California - Santa Barbara.
- "H.R.4547 - Freedom for Russia and Emerging Eurasian Democracies and Open Markets Support Act of 1992". Congress.gov. March 24, 1992.
- "Policy Archive". Retrieved 10 February 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- History of U.S. Assistance to the New Independent States in the Clinton Administration on the State Department's Website
- "Former Soviet Union: U.S. Bilateral Program Lacks Effective Coordination" (PDF). U.S. GAO ~ NSIAD-95-10. U.S. Government Accountability Office. February 7, 1995. OCLC 32647392.
- "Former Soviet Union: An Update on Coordination of U.S. Assistance and Economic Cooperation Programs" (PDF). U.S. GAO ~ NSIAD-96-16. U.S. Government Accountability Office. December 15, 1995. OCLC 33979448.