This article does not cite any sources. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Duke of Saxe-Zeitz-Pegau-Neustadt|
|Born||21 July 1668|
|Died||18 December 1713 (aged 45)|
Neustadt an der Orla
|Spouse||Sophie Angelika of Württemberg-Oels|
Anna Fredericka Philippine of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Wiesenburg
|Issue||Maurice Adolf Karl|
|House||House of Wettin|
|Father||Maurice, Duke of Saxe-Zeitz|
|Mother||Dorothea Maria of Saxe-Weimar|
In Öls on 23 April 1699, Frederick Henry married Sophie Angelika of Württemberg-Oels. Shortly after, his older brother, Duke Moritz Wilhelm, Duke of Saxe-Zeitz, gave him the towns of Pegau and Neustadt as appanage. From then on, he assumed the title duke of Saxe-Zeitz-Pegau-Neustadt (Herzog von Sachsen-Zeitz-Pegau-Neustadt). His wife Sophie died after only nineteen months of marriage on 11 November 1700.
In Moritzburg on 27 February 1702, Frederick married for a second time to Anna Fredericka Philippine of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Wiesenburg. They had two children:
- Maurice Adolph Charles (b. Moritzburg, 1 December 1702 - d. Pöltenberg, 20 June 1759), Duke of Saxe-Zeitz-Pegau-Neustadt (1713–18), Bishop of Hradec Králové (Königrgrätz) (1732) and Litoměřice (Leitmeritz) (1733–52),
- Dorothea Charlotte (b. Moritzburg, 20 May 1708 - d. Moritzburg, 8 November 1708).
The death of his nephew, the Hereditary Duke Frederick August, on 17 February 1710, made him the heir apparent of the duchy of Saxe-Zeitz, because his immediate older brother Christian August was a priest.
Nevertheless, he died three years later, five before his brother Maurice Wilhelm. His only son, Maurice Adolf Karl, succeeded him in Pegau-Neustadt, but, still a minor, he was placed under the custody of his uncle Maurice Wilhelm and became the new heir apparent of Saxe-Zeitz. However, soon afterwards (1718) the young Maurice Adolf himself became a priest and renounced his claims to the duchy, which made the extinction of the Saxe-Zeitz line inevitable.
Without other male heirs, Zeitz was finally merged into the Electorate of Saxony after the death of Maurice Wilhelm.
- Friedrich Heinrich Herzog von Sachsen-Neustadt in: the Peerage.com [retrieved 7 October 2014].
- ollständige geographische Beschreibung zu einem Atlante Saxonico (in German) [retrieved 7 October 2014].
- Neueste Geschichte des Königreichs Sachsen seit dem Prager Frieden bis auf ... (in German) [retrieved 7 October 2014].
| Duke of Saxe-Zeitz-Pegau-Neustadt
1699 – 1713
duchy merged into the duchy of Saxe-Zeitz under Maurice Wilhelm