|Born:||April 8, 1957|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||295 lb (134 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||1979 / Round: 2 / Pick: 32|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Frederic Charles Smerlas (born April 8, 1957) is a former American football nose tackle who was a five-time NFL Pro Bowl selection during a 14-year career as a nose tackle with the Buffalo Bills, San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots.
Smerlas, of Greek-American descent, graduated from Waltham High School in 1975, where he was a star football player and wrestler. He became a defensive lineman for Boston College before embarking on an NFL career. Smerlas' 1990 autobiography, By a Nose, recounts his 11 years with the Bills and their climb from cellar-dwellers to Super Bowl contenders.
Smerlas currently resides in Massachusetts and is a part-time co-host during football season on sports radio WEEI-FM, NBC Sports Boston - The New England Tailgate Show, as well as a contributor to western New York radio station WHAM (AM) in Rochester.
Fred & Steve's Steakhouse
In 2010, Smerlas expressed an interest in relocating to Western New York to challenge Brian Higgins or Louise Slaughter, believing that they have not adequately represented Western New York or the upstate region as a whole. He indicated that his son was considering attending the University at Buffalo, and if he were to relocate, he may run either in 2010 or 2012, later ruling out a 2010 run. He said that his first priority "would be to take a big saw and cut New York City off."
- Fred Smerlas and Vic Carucci, By A Nose: The Off-Center Life of Football's Funniest Lineman, Simon And Schuster, 1990. ISBN 0-671-70532-6
- Fred Smerlas Football at the Wayback Machine (archived October 27, 2009)
- Fred Smerlas Buffalo Hall of Fame
- Fred Smerlas Statistics
- Fred Smerlas Boston College
- All Pro tailgate party Home Page
- "PFRA Hall of Very Good Class of 2018". Retrieved September 20, 2019.
- Doyle, Bill (January 18, 2007). "DeOssie likes Pats Sunday". Worcester Telegram & Gazette. Retrieved May 2, 2007.
- "Smerlas For Congress? He Says Maybe... - WBEN NewsRadio 930 : Buffalo & Niagara Falls, NY". Wben.com. Archived from the original on June 14, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2010.
- Rich Newberg Posted by: Eli George (March 29, 2010). "Will former Bill make a run for office". WIVB.com. Archived from the original on May 31, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2010.