Frederick Frank Jarvis CBE (8 September 1924 – 15 June 2020) was a British trade union leader. He was President of the National Union of Students (NUS) from 1952 to 1954 and General Secretary of the National Union of Teachers (NUT) from 1975 to 1989. Jarvis served as President of the Trades Union Congress in 1987, the first Oxford graduate to hold that position.
Early life and education
Jarvis was born in West Ham, London. As a child, he attended Plaistow Secondary School in what was then the County Borough of West Ham in Essex. At the start of World War II, the family moved to Wallasey; he attended Wallasey Grammar School and joined the Progressive Youth Movement. Later in the war, he joined the Army, taking part in the Normandy landings.
In 1947, he went to University of Liverpool for a Diploma in Social Sciences, and obtained a BA (Hons) in Philosophy, Politics and Economics at St Catherine's College, Oxford. He married Anne Colegrove, herself a vice-president of the NUS, in 1954.
In 2014 he published his autobiography You Never Know Your Luck.
Jarvis died on 15 June 2020 at the age of 95.
Fred and Anne Jarvis Award
Named after Jarvis and his late wife, the Fred and Anne Jarvis Award was established in 2007 and presented annually by the NUT. Originally for individuals outside the NUT who have campaigned tirelessly for children and young people, in 2017 the award was given to a NUT member. From 2019 the award has been presented by the National Education Union, which has succeeded the NUT.
- "Find out who the 55th NUS President will be live". National Union of Students. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "NUT History - NUT General Secretaries". NUT. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "Section 4, Details of past Congresses" (PDF). Trades Union Congress. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 September 2012. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Obituary: Anne Jarvis". Guardian News and Media Limited. 2 May 2007. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Corbett, Anne (16 June 2020). "Fred Jarvis obituary". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- "Spirit is still flourishing". TSL Education Ltd. 31 August 2012. Archived from the original on 21 April 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "NewVic students meet former teachers' leader and Plaistow pupil". Newham Sixth Form College. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Wilby, Pete (1 July 2014). "Fred Jarvis: veteran NUT leader says union is too ready to resort to strikes". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Fred Jarvis, combative leader of the National Union of Teachers – obituary". The Daily Telegraph. 16 June 2020. Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- "Former general secretary of the NUT Fred Jarvis holds exhibition at TUC". Newsquest (London) Ltd. 26 March 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "No. 61092". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2014. p. N9.
- 2015 New Year Honours List Archived 2 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- "Memorial for Anne Jarvis at the Institute of Education" (PDF). Education Publishing Worldwide Limited. 21 September 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 May 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- Biography, Who's Who
|Trade union offices|
John M. Thompson
| President of the National Union of Students
Frank H. Copplestone
| Deputy General Secretary of the National Union of Teachers
Sir Edward Britton
| General Secretary of the National Union of Teachers
| President of the Trades Union Congress
| Trades Union Congress representative to the AFL-CIO