Francis Arthur Bather FRS (17 February 1863, in Richmond upon Thames – 20 March 1934) was a British palaeontologist, geologist and malacologist. His mother, Lucy Elizabeth Blomfield, was a daughter of Charles Blomfield, Bishop of London. His father, Arthur Henry Bather, who was deaf, was a clerk in the office of the Accountant-General for the Navy.
Bather was awarded the Lyell Medal of the Geological Society, of which he also served as President. He was an Honorary Member of the Royal Geological Society of Cornwall, and was elected a fellow of the Royal Society in 1909. He was elected a Foreign Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1928. In 1932 Bather was awarded the Mary Clark Thompson Medal from the National Academy of Sciences.
He married Stina Bergöö, daughter of Adolf Bergöö of Stockholm, and sister of the Swedish artist Karin Bergöö Larsson and they had a daughter and two sons. A photographic portrait is in the National Gallery.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:|
Francis Arthur Bather
- Puns of Shakspeare in Noctes Shaksperianae (1887)
- Crinoidea of Gotland, Stockholm (1893)
- . (illustrated by Frederick Octavius Pickard-Cambridge). "On Uintacrinus: a Morphological Study". Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. 1895: 974–1004. 1895. Retrieved 2020-04-13.
- The Genera and Species of Blastoidea (1899)
- The Man as Museum-Curator,'' Museums Journal, (1902).
- Chapters on Echinoderms in Lankester’s Treatise on Zoology, Encycl. Brit.
- Triassic Echinoderms of Bakony (1909)
- Cystidea from Girvan (1913)
- Studies in Edrioasteroidea (1915)
- Lang, William Dickson (1934). "Francis Arthur Bather. 1863-1934". Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society. 1 (3): 302. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1934.0014.
- A 19th century Deaf civil servant
- "Bather, Francis Arthur". Who's Who. Vol. 59. 1907. p. 110.
- Archives of the Royal Society
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter B" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
- "Mary Clark Thompson Medal". National Academy of Sciences. Archived from the original on 29 December 2010. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Who was Who, accessed 6 July 2016
-  Portrait of Francis Arthur Bather
|This article about a British scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a paleontologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|