|Teams||16 (men) + 12 (women) (from 6 confederations)|
|Venue(s)||6 (in 5 host cities)|
|Champions|| Argentina (men)|
United States (women)
|Runners-up|| Nigeria (men)|
|Third place|| Brazil (men)|
|Fourth place|| Belgium (men)|
|Goals scored||135 (2.33 per match)|
|Attendance||2,144,268 (36,970 per match)|
Football at the 2008 Summer Olympics was held in Beijing and several other cities in the People's Republic of China from 6 to 23 August. Associations affiliated with FIFA were invited to send their full women's national teams and men's U-23 teams to participate. Men's teams were allowed to augment their squad with three players over the age of 23.
For these games, the men competed in a 16-team tournament, and the women in a 12-team tournament. Preliminary matches commenced two days before the Opening Ceremony of the Games on 8 August.
Aside from the host city Beijing, football matches took place in four other cities:
- Beijing: Beijing National Stadium
- Beijing: Workers' Stadium
- Qinhuangdao: Qinhuangdao Olympic Stadium
- Shanghai: Shanghai Stadium
- Shenyang: Shenyang Olympic Stadium
- Tianjin: Tianjin Olympic Centre Stadium
|Beijing National Stadium||Shanghai Stadium|
|Capacity: 91,000||Capacity: 56,842|
|Workers' Stadium||Shenyang Olympic Stadium|
|Capacity: 66,161||Capacity: 60,000|
|Qinhuangdao Olympic Stadium||Tianjin Olympic Centre Stadium|
|Capacity: 33,000||Capacity: 54,696|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Association football at the 2008 Summer Olympics.|
- "Sports Competition Schedule". BOCOG. 17 April 2006. Archived from the original on 10 August 2006. Retrieved 10 August 2006.
- "Athletics". International Olympic Committee. 2006. Retrieved 10 August 2006.
- "Programme of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, Beijing 2008" (PDF). International Olympic Committee. Archived from the original (pdf) on 20 August 2006. Retrieved 10 August 2006.
- Olympic Football Tournaments Beijing 2008 – Men, FIFA.com
- Olympic Football Tournaments Beijing 2008 – Women, FIFA.com