Borg in 2016
|Also known as||Flula, DJ Flula|
|Born||March 28, 1982|
Erlangen, West Germany
|Occupation(s)||Actor, screenwriter, comedian, YouTuber, DJ, MC/rapper/hype man, singer, songwriter, record producer , audio engineer|
|Instruments||Vocals, beatboxing, trombone, accordion, melodica, glockenspiel, stylophone|
|Total views||98 million|
|Updated 10 February 2019|
Flula Borg (born March 28, 1982) is a German YouTube personality, actor, musician, comedian, and DJ who is also known simply as Flula (sometimes stylized as f|u|a) or DJ Flula. He lives in Los Angeles, California. Borg has acted in several feature films, including Pitch Perfect 2, and a number of popular TV shows, including Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Good Place. He has made multiple appearances on Conan and has participated in a number of other projects with Conan O'Brien. Across a wide variety of projects, he has collaborated with well-known YouTuber personalities such as Rhett and Link, Miranda Sings, and Smosh, as well as mainstream celebrities including Sir Mix-A-Lot, Ed Helms, and Dirk Nowitzki. In 2015, he was named one of The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Digital Stars as well as one of Variety's 10 Comics to Watch.
Films and television
In 2015, Borg co-starred in Pitch Perfect 2 as a leader of the German a cappella group Das Sound Machine (also known as DSM). This led to appearances on talk shows such as Last Call with Carson Daly, as well as the first of many appearances on the Comedy Central game show @midnight. Buddymoon, a feature film written and produced by Borg, David Giuntoli, and filmmaker Alex Simmons, and starring Borg and Giuntoli, was shown at several major film festivals in early 2016. It won the Audience Award for Best Narrative Feature at the Slamdance Film Festival and was acquired by Gravitas Ventures and Orion Pictures for theatrical release. Later in 2016, Lionsgate Films announced a development deal with Borg under which he will serve as star, executive producer, and writer of two upcoming feature films. Beginning in 2017, he has done a great deal of voice acting, appearing in roles such as Hans the Horse in Blue Sky Studios' Ferdinand and the personal assistant Maybe in Disney's Oscar-nominated feature Ralph Breaks the Internet. He also voices a part in Trolls World Tour, produced by DreamWorks Animation and set for release in 2020.
In addition to his film work, Borg has acted in a number of TV series, including Curb Your Enthusiasm, Workaholics, Silicon Valley, Counterpart, and The Good Place. In 2015, he co-hosted E!'s Live from the Red Carpet pre-show at the Billboard Music Awards. He has been a guest on the TBS talk show Conan several times, including an episode in which he served as Conan O'Brien's informal guide to Germany when the show traveled to Berlin for a week. In 2017, Borg's own social action special Flulanthropy premiered on the streaming channel Seeso. He has also done voice acting in several series, including Archer, The Mr. Peabody & Sherman Show, and Tangled: The Series. Borg voices a leading role as Mega Fat CEO Baby in the DreamWorks Animation/Netflix series The Boss Baby: Back in Business.
Borg has posted over 350 videos on his YouTube channel since its launch in 2007. Some of his most popular videos are his vlogs, most notably "Jennifer is a Party Pooper", and his AutoTunes series, in which he records cover songs live in a car. His AutoTunes video with YouTube celebrity Chester See, a cover of "No Diggity" by Blackstreet, has close to four million views and was nominated for a Streamy Award in 2014. He is also known for his celebrity interviews, and for creating EDM tracks from sound clips gathered during many of those interviews. Celebrities interviewed on Borg's YouTube channel include Will Ferrell and the cast of Anchorman 2, Vince Vaughn, Tina Fey, Anna Kendrick and the cast of Pitch Perfect 2, Larry King, and Michael Phelps.
In addition to his own channel, Borg has appeared on many other popular YouTube channels, including Miranda Sings, Grace Helbig, Smosh, vlogbrothers, and Madilyn Bailey. In 2014, Borg's YouTube channel was listed on New Media Rockstars' Top 100 Channels and he won the 2015 Streamy Award for Comedy in recognition of his humorous contributions on YouTube.
In 2018, Flula launched his podcast, BoomTime, which is produced by Cadence 13. It is directed by his frequent collaborator Alex Simmons. Notable guests have included Ed Helms, Kristen Schaal, Reggie Watts, Hanson, and "Weird Al" Yankovic.
From his beginnings as a Schuhplattler dancer in Germany and through many years of live performance and YouTube content, Borg has always been deeply involved in music. After winning the Scion Hypeman Contest in late 2008 as its only non-American participant, he began releasing more of his own music. His 2011 single "Sweet Potato Casserole" was listed at #3 on Billboard's Next Big Sound chart. In the same year, his single "Dirk Nowitzki, German Moses" coincided with the Dallas Mavericks' NBA championship run and was picked up by ESPN and other mainstream outlets. In 2014, he composed the theme song for Grace Helbig's podcast, Not Too Deep, and the following year he was chosen to create the theme song for The Grace Helbig Show on E! Entertainment Television.
Also in 2015, Borg released a five-track EP titled I Want to Touch You. Videos for all of the tracks were posted to his YouTube channel. In early 2016, he released a full-length album called Animalbum, so named because all of the songs on the album are related to animals, both real and mythological. It was produced by comedian and producer of The Bachelor, Elan Gale. In 2019, Flula released a single titled 'Self Care Sunday', featuring the American comedic music group Ninja Sex Party, to Spotify.
Flula regularly performs live music and comedy. From 2009 to 2012 he was the host and MC for College Battle of the Bands and he hosted the Chegg Textbooks & Tickets Tour in 2011. From 2013 through 2015, he hosted Bedrocktoberfest, a music festival held in Los Angeles to coincide with Oktoberfest. As a result of his success on YouTube, he has been featured four times – in 2013, 2016, 2017, and 2018 – on the main stage at VidCon. He is active on the comedy festival circuit, appearing at Just for Laughs festivals in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver; at SF Sketchfest in San Francisco; and at the Blue Whale Comedy Festival in Oklahoma. He has also done solo shows in a number of cities, including Seattle, Portland, and Los Angeles. In late 2018 Flula served as Conan O'Brien's DJ, opening act, and sidekick on O'Brien's 18-city comedy tour, "Team Coco Presents Conan & Friends: An Evening of Stand-Up and Investment Tips."
|2013–2014||Auction Hunters||Himself/Handyman||Four episodes|
|2013–2019||Last Call with Carson Daly||Himself/Guest||Four episodes|
|2015||The Grace Helbig Show||Himself/Guest||Episode 1.1|
|2015||Pitch Perfect 2||Pieter Kramer|
|2015||Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip||Man behind the mask|
|2016||Buddymoon||Flula||Also co-writer and co-producer|
|2016||Dirty 30||DJ DJ|
|2017||Workaholics||Jimmy Sparx||Episode: "Termidate"|
|2017||The Mr. Peabody & Sherman Show||Joe Troplong||Episode: "Peabody's Delivery"|
|2017||Silicon Valley||Joel||Episode: "Hooli-Con"|
|2017||Flulanthropy||Himself||Also writer and producer|
|2017||Curb Your Enthusiasm||Ernst||Episode: "Fatwa!"|
|2018||The Mick||German teacher||Episode: "The Trip"|
|2018||The Boss Baby: Back in Business||Mega Fat CEO Baby||Voice; Ten episodes|
|2018||Archer||Ziegler||Voice; Episode: "Danger Island: A Warrior in Costume"|
|2018||The Good Place||Helmut Deutschermann||Episode: "The Ballad of Donkey Doug"|
|2018||Ralph Breaks the Internet||Maybe||Voice|
|2018||Adam Ruins Everything||The Rewards Dude||Episode: "Adam Ruins Flying"|
|2018–2019||Tangled: The Series||Alfons||Voice; Three episodes|
|2019||Teen Titans Go!||Robotman||Voice; Four episodes|
|2020||Trolls World Tour||Dickory||Voice|
|2021||The Suicide Squad||Javelin||Filming|
- Hageland, Kevin (2013-03-19). "The Accidental Tourist: Flula, a German DJ, gives tour for Allen City TV". StarLocalMedia.com. Star Local Media (Allen [TX] American online newspaper). Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Goodman, William (2013-09-26). "Sir Mix-A-Lot's 'Baby Got Back' Gets Auto-Tune Remix... In A Car". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- Petski, Denise (2017-03-30). "'There's…Johnny!', 'Harmonquest' Season 2, More Get Summer Premiere Dates On Seeso". Deadline.com. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- Helin, Kurt (2013-07-18). "Dirk Nowitzki sings 'Satisfaction' with German DJ Flula, Mavs cheerleaders". ProBasketballTalk.NBCSports.com. NBC Sports. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- Jarvey, Natalie; Svetkey, Benjamin (2015-07-10). "THR's Top 25 Digital Stars". HollywoodReporter.com. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
- Blair, Iain (2015-07-14). "10 Comics to Watch: YouTube Star Flula Borg Breaks Stereotypes About German Humor". Variety.com. Variety Media, LLC. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
- Yamato, Jen (2014-05-29). "'Pitch Perfect 2' Adds German YouTuber Flula Borg". Deadline.com. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- Stack, Tim (2014-11-21). "Game On, Pitches!". EW.com. Entertainment Weekly & Time Inc. Retrieved 2014-11-24.
- "@Midnight: A Guest Stars & Air Dates Guide". Epguides.com. epguides.com. 2017-03-31. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- Lincoln, Ross (2016-03-31). "Gravitas Ventures Travels With Slamdance Audience Winner 'Buddymoon'". deadline.com. Deadline. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "Top of the Charts with the 2016 Slamdance Film Festival Features!". Slamdance.com. Slamdance Inc. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Spangler, Todd (2016-10-17). "YouTube Comedian-DJ Flula Borg Inks Lionsgate Deal for Two Movies (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.com. Variety Media, LLC. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- Hanstock, Bill (2017-03-28). "John Cena Achieves His Final Form As A Talking Bull In The Trailer For 'Ferdinand'". Uproxx.com. UPROXX Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- Hogarty, Joe (2018-10-06). ""Ralph Breaks The Internet" Reveals Digital Influencer Cast At NYCC". WDWNT.com. WDWNT, LLC. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Zahed, Ramin (2018-06-12). "New Details Revealed About DreamWorks' 'Trolls' Sequel". AnimationMagazine.com. Animation Magazine. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Griffiths, Kadeen (2015-05-17). "Where Is Ryan Seacrest During The Billboard Music Awards?". Bustle.com. Bustle. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Fuchs, Stephen (2017-12-14). "Watch Flula Educate Conan on the Wild and Delicious German Christmas Traditions". GermanPulse.com. German Pulse. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Gutelle, Sam (2016-12-08). "YouTube Star Flula Borg Joins Conan O'Brien For A Trip To Berlin". Tubefilter.com. Tubefilter, Inc. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "YouTube "About" page". YouTube.com. Retrieved 2015-12-31.
- "'Jennifer Is A Party Pooper': Flula Borg Has Some Questions About Your Bowels". HuffingtonPost.com. TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. 2011-11-08. Retrieved 2015-01-09.
- "4th Annual Streamy Awards Nominees". Streamys.org. Streamys. Retrieved 2014-10-08.
- "The NMR Top 100 YouTube Channels: 100-76!". NewMediaRockstars.com. New Media Rockstars. 2014-12-30. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Streamy Awards 5th Annual Nominees". Streamys.org. Streamys. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- Wright, Megh (2018-10-18). "This Week in Comedy Podcasts: Bitch Sesh With Andrew Rannells". Vulture.com. New York Media LLC. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Teng, Elaine (2015-05-14). "The Time Anna Kendrick Said I Smelled Like an Old Cinnamon Cupcake". NewRepublic.com. New Republic. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Hypeman: Chicago  (3 of 3) (Scion AV)" (YouTube video). Scion Audio/Visual. 2011-10-17.
- "Next Big Sound". Billboard.com. Billboard. 2011-11-26. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Wilkie, Jim (2011-05-18). "DJ Flula's Nowitzki song can't be beat". ESPN.Go.com. ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Freeman, Eric (2011-05-12). "Listen to "His Name Is Dirk," your new Mavericks anthem". Sports.Yahoo.com. Yahoo Sports & NBC Sports Network. Retrieved 2015-01-09.
- Grace Helbig (2014-10-13). "Not Too Deep with Grace, Ep. 7 - Flula". SoundCloud.com (Podcast). SoundCloud Ltd. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
Flula is on the podcast! Well, he is every week in a way... (Because he did all our theme music.)
- "DJ Flula Creates Clutch Theme Song for Helbig". EOnline.com. E! Entertainment Television, LLC & NBCUniversal. 2015-04-03. Retrieved 2015-05-19.
- Gutelle, Sam (2015-09-28). "With His New EP, YouTube Star Flula Borg Says "I Want To Touch You"". Tubefilter.com. Tubefilter, Inc. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- Nahas, Aili (2016-05-17). "YouTube Star Flula Is Teaming Up with a Bachelor Producer — Find Out Why!". Pets.People.com. Time, Inc. Archived from the original on 2016-05-22. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Chegg and College Battle of the Bands Back to School Tour featuring DJ Rhythm and Flula Borg". Chegg.com. Chegg. Archived from the original on 2010-10-07. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- "AUSTIN - BACK TO CLASS MUSIC BASH". Grammy365.com. The Recording Academy. Archived from the original on 2010-10-07. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Gutelle, Sam (2014-08-05). "DJ Flula Borg Hypes Upcoming Festival With Google Hangout". Tubefilter.com. Tubefilter, Inc. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- W, Kate (2015-09-17). "Bedrocktoberfest brings music and magic to Echo Park this weekend". TimeOut.com. Time Out America LLC. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Wilson, Andy (2013-08-06). "Tyler Ward, DJ Flula, Pentatonix And Madilyn Bailey Cover 'Thrift Shop' At VidCon 2013". HuffingtonPost.com. Verizon Media. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Votta, Rae (2016-06-26). "VidCon 2016 was all about bridging the gap between creators and fans". DailyDot.com. The Daily Dot. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- De Vries, Lauren (2017-09-14). "JFL42 IS COMING: WHO WILL YOU SEE? #TORONTO". ComedyUncovered.com. Comedy Uncovered. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Join Howie Mandel as he hosts an evening full of laughs with some of the funniest comics around; Featuring Roy Wood Jr, Flula Borg, DeAnne Smith and Matteo Lane!". JFLNorthwest.com. JFL Northwest. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Reisman, Will (2017-01-22). "Flula Borg has fun with language". SFExaminer.com. The San Francisco Examiner. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "TulsaKids' Labor Day Weekend Roundup". TulsaKids.com. Tulsa Kids. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Husband, Andrew (2018-09-26). "Conan O'Brien Is Taking His 'Stand-Up And Investment Tips' Show On The Road". Forbes.com. Forbes Media LLC. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Furdyk, Brent (2019-10-11). "Photos From Set Of 'The Suicide Squad' Offer First Look At The Colourfully Costumed New Team". ET Canada. Corus Entertainment Inc. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Flula Borg.|