|Use||National flag and ensign|
|Adopted||28 April 1960|
|Design||Five equal horizontal bands of green (top and bottom) alternating with yellow; with a red canton bearing a white five-pointed star|
|Designed by||Paul Ahyi|
The flag of Togo is the national flag, ensign, and naval jack of Togo. It has five equal horizontal bands of green (top and bottom) alternating with yellow. There is a white five-pointed star on a red square in the upper hoist-side corner. It uses the popular pan-African colors of Ethiopia, but the design resembles the flag of Liberia which itself echoes the flag of the United States.
The flag was designed by artist Paul Ahyi and approximates a golden rectangle closely. Ahyi (January 15, 1930 – January 4, 2010) was regarded as among the greatest of African artists of his generation. Born in Togo, Ahyi graduated from the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris in 1959 and returned to Togo. He designed the flag of Togo while working on other contemporary works. The flag was adopted on April 28, 1960 and is still in use. During France's rule over Togo from 1957 to 1958, the flag of French Togo was used. After Togo's independence, the first Flag of Togo was used from 1958 to 1960.
The four colors (green, red, white and yellow) are the Pan-African colors.
The colors of the flag are meant to symbolize
- Red: Represents blood shed by Martyrs to gain independence
- White: Represents hope, star of hope
- Green: Represents the forests, Agriculture, nature, and overall hope for the future
- Yellow: Represents natural resources of the country
The sides of the flag of Togo are in the golden ratio φ = 1+√/ ≈ 1.618034, making the flag of Togo one of at most three national flags with irrational proportions (the others being those of Nepal and, if using the Geometric construction, Iran).
Flag of German Togo
Flag of German Togo (proposed but not implemented)
Flag of French Togo 1957-1958
- "Flag of Togo". FOTW.us. Flags Of The World. Archived from the original on 2007-06-07. Retrieved 2007-06-09.
- "Paul Ahyi of Togo joins roster of UNESCO Artists for Peace". United Nations. 2009-09-11. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- Décès de Paul Ahyi, le Picasso africain (French) Le Telegramme