|Founded||1955(as American Transportation Enterprises)|
|Headquarters||600 Vine Street, Ste. 1400|
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S. 45202
|Service area||United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, India, Panama|
|Service type||Fixed Route, Paratransit, Shuttle, Transit Management, MaaS, Microtransit, Autonomous Vehicle, Rail System, Bus Rapid Transit, Call Centers, Maintenance Services|
First Transit, Inc. is a United States-based subsidiary of FirstGroup.
Headquartered at 600 Vine Street, Cincinnati, Ohio, First Transit operates over 300 locations, carrying more than 350 million passengers annually throughout the United States in 39 states, Puerto Rico, Panama, India and four Canadian provinces.
American Transportation Enterprises was founded in 1955. Ryder acquired ATE in 1986. First Transit was formed in 1999 when FirstGroup acquired Ryder Public Transportation Services Inc. from Ryder. In 2007, First Transit acquired Cognisa, a company specializing in shuttle services. Also in 2007, FirstGroup acquired Laidlaw, and merged Laidlaw's transit operations with First Transit.
FirstGroup has been trying to sell FirstTransit on several occasions.
First Transit has more than 19,000 employees and operates and maintains more than 49,000 vehicles and pieces of equipment.
In December 2016, First Transit began operating the first SAV passenger shuttle route in North America, using the EasyMile EZ10 to loop through Bishop Ranch Office Park in San Ramon, California. Since then, First Transit has gone on to operate many SAV initiatives including a Minnesota SAV Roadshow with stops at Minnesota State Capitol and 3M Global Headquarters, and Milo in Arlington, TX. Milo was the first SAV operation open to the public and shuttled passengers to Globe Life Park and AT&T Stadium.
In 2017, First Transit signed an agreement as the exclusive transit operator partner at GoMentum Station. GoMentum Station is the largest of 10 federally funded secure testing facilities for autonomous and connected vehicle technology in the U.S.
- "Ryder Buys Management Firm". Wall Street Journal, Eastern edition. New York, N.Y., United States. October 3, 1986. p. 1. ISSN 0099-9660.
- "Ryder Sells Bus Businesses to UK's FirstGroup". Retrieved May 10, 2015.
- History First Transit
- "FirstGroup launches formal sale of North American businesses". March 11, 2020. Retrieved October 12, 2020.
- "First Transit Announces First Autonomous Passenger Shuttle Pilot". www.firsttransit.com. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- "First Transit Supports MnDOT's AV Roadshow". www.firsttransit.com. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- "First Transit Brings Autonomous Vehicle Passenger Shuttles to Dallas". www.firsttransit.com. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- "First Transit Signs Exclusive Partnership with GoMentum Station". www.firsttransit.com. Retrieved May 20, 2019.