|Founded||Biella, Piedmont, Italy|
|Yoon Keun-chang (CEO)|
|Parent||FILA KOREA Ltd.|
Fila is an Italian sporting goods brand and company. The brand and company was sold in 2003 to Cerberus Capital Management, an U.S.A.-based hedge fund. In 2007, the international brand and company was sold to the independent Fila Korea, which owned the license to sell Fila products in Korea.
Fila was created in Biella, Piedmont, Italy, by Giansevero Fila in 1911. It originally made clothing for the people of the Italian Alps, primarily underwear. In the 1970s it moved into sportswear, with an endorsement deal with tennis player Björn Borg. The brand became more popular after the move into sportswear.
In 2003, the original Italian owner, Holding di Partecipazioni, sold the company to Cerberus Capital Management, a U.S.A.-based hedge fund, after the company over-committed itself to expensive athletic endorsements at a time when margins were under pressure. Cerberus owned Fila through holding company Sports Brands International, which owned and operated all Fila businesses around the world with the exception of Fila Korea, which was a separate company operating the brand under licence.
In January 2007, the global Fila brand and all its international subsidiaries were acquired by Fila Korea, which made it the largest South Korean sportswear company.
In 2009, ANTA Sports acquired the rights to the brand in China, Hong Kong, and Macao from the then Fila company's Chinese joint venture partner Belle International. Fila Korea still owned 15% shares of the joint venture company "Full Prospect".
- "Executive Bios at Fila.com". Fila.com. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- 휠���코리아/반기보고서/2018.08.14" 전자공시시스템. Retrieved October 4 2018.
- Chamikutty, Preethi (2012-10-03). "How FILA's Gene Yoon plans to build a strong brand presence in India". The Economic Times. India: The Economic Times. Retrieved 2019-09-24.
- "Fila reboots in India". Forbes India. India: Forbes India. Retrieved 2019-09-24.
- Mathew, Sunalini (2019-04-19). "FILA and VegNonVeg drop a new Mindblower shoe". The Hindu. India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2019-09-24.
- "Fila Korea appoints new CEO, executives". The Korea Times. South Korea: The Korea Times. 2018-03-25. Retrieved 2019-09-24.
- "History". Fila. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "DISCLOSEABLE TRANSACTIONS PROPOSED ACQUISITION OF FULL PROSPECT LIMITED AND FILA MARKETING (HONG KONG) LIMITED" (PDF). ANTA. Hong Kong Stock Exchange. 12 August 2009. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- "Fila Korea buys Titleist for global expansion". Yonhap News. 2011-05-21. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Thomas, Denny; Robert MacMillan (2011-05-20). "Fila Korea buys Titleist golf company for $1.2 billion". Reuter. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- 수정 2018.07.16 07:00, 입력 2018 07 16 07:00 (2018-07-16). "휠라, KFC, 처음처럼까지… 유통 업계가 반한 두산베어스 '의리'". 중앙일��� (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-04-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fila (company).|