It was founded in 1897 by Herbert Frood (1864-1931), with manufacturing starting in Gorton in 1901 and moving to Chapel-en-le-Frith in 1902. Ferodo was the first company to use asbestos for brake linings and developed the first modern brake friction materials.
In 1998 Turner & Newall was acquired by the huge automotive group Federal-Mogul. It is now part of Federal-Mogul Aftermarket UK Limited. In 2012 £13m was invested in new floors, insulation, low energy heating and new process machines.
Federal-Mogul got into financial difficulties and filed for Chapter 11 protection as a result of asbestosis claims. In the United Kingdom the business went into administration in October 2001, leaving a pension fund deficit estimated at £400 million.
The T&N Subfund of the Federal-Mogul Asbestos Trust was organized to pay all valid Asbestos Trust claims for which the T&N Entities have legal responsibility. The Trust was created December 27, 2007 as a result of the confirmation of The Federal-Mogul Chapter 11 Joint Plan of Reorganization.
For claimants whose principal exposure to asbestos was in the United Kingdom or one of several other non-US countries, a UK Asbestos Trust was established to provide for the payment of asbestos claims in addition to the US-focused Asbestos Trust described above. This includes posthumous payments to families of Ferodo factory workers.
Ferodo is famous in Britain for advertising by having the Ferodo brand name painted on railway bridges over main roads.
- "Chapel-en-le-Frith Parish Council official guide - also photo of Herbert Frood". Archived from the original on December 10, 2013.
- Summary of records held in Derbyshire Archives Office
- History of Asbestos Archived 2012-09-15 at the Wayback Machine, All About Asbestos
- T&N companies, The T&N Asbestos Trust
- "Federal-Mogul Corp. completes T&N; buy. - Rubber & Plastics News II | HighBeam Research". web.archive.org. May 17, 2011.
- "Buxton Advertiser 11 July 2013 with photo of the refurbished factory".
- "Federal-Mogul Financial restructuring".
- "Legal Update" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on January 7, 2009.
- "Business Analysis: Turner & Newall pensions crisis leaves". The Independent. December 8, 2004.
- Federal-Mogul Asbestos Personal Injury Trust
- "What Are You Walking On?". fmoplan.com.
- "What is the T&N Asbestos Trustee Company?". The T&N Asbestos Trust.
- Alex Hickey, Ferodo worker’s family compensated over asbestos death, Caernarfon Herald, 6 May 2010
- Lynch, Lucy (March 19, 2017). "Why does it say FERODO on this Coventry bridge?". CoventryLive.