This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||11 December 1855|
|Died||4 June 1937 (aged 81)|
|Known for||Theology, Scholarship|
Cabrol was born in Marseille. He studied at the College of Marseillles, and entered the Benedictine order in 1878. He was ordained in 1882. He was a professor of ecclesiastical history at Solesmes Abbey, where he became prior in 1890. From 1890 to 1895 he was a professor of archaeology and ecclesiastical history at the University of Angers.
He became prior of St Michael's Abbey in Farnborough, Hampshire in 1896, and abbot in 1903. He is best known for being a co-founder of the Dictionnaire d'archéologie chrétienne et de liturgie, together with Henri Leclercq. Cabrol was president of the French section of the Eucharistic Congress of Westminster in 1908; an honorary member of the Academy of Mâcon, France, and honorary professor of the University of Angers. He contributed a number of articles to the Catholic Encyclopedia.
Selected works of scholarship
- Dictionnaire d'archéologie chrétienne et de liturgie
Cabrol was the founding editor and the majority of the volumes were edited by himself and Henri Leclercq and they also contributed articles to the encyclopaedia (Vol. 14, pt 2 & 15 were edited by H. I. Marrou). By 1953 the work was complete in 15 volumes, each of two parts.
- Selected other works
- Livre de la prière antique (1900)
- Monumenta ecclesiae liturgica (1900-1913) Vol. 1, 5 & 6 (no more published; editors: Cabrol, Leclercq & M. Ferotin). 4 vols. Paris: Firmin-Didot
- Relliquiae liturgicae vetustissimae: ex Ss. Patrum necnon Scriptorum Ecclesiasticorum monumentis selectae et publici juris factae curantibus Ferdinando Cabrol et Henrico Leclercq. 2 vols. Paris: Firmin-Didot, 1902, 1913 (edited with Henri Leclercq; Sectio 1-2: Ab aevo apostolico ad pacem Ecclesiae)
- Encyclopædia Britannica - Fernand Cabrol
- "Cabrol, Right Reverend Fernand", The Catholic Encyclopedia and Its Makers, New York, the Encyclopedia Press, 1917, p. 24 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Dictionnaire d'archéologie chrétienne et de liturgie". Copac. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Works by Fernand Cabrol at Open Library
- The True Cross by Fernand Cabrol
- The Mass of the Western Rites by Fernand Cabrol
- Abbot Fernand Cabrol
- Dom Fernand Cabrol's The Mass of the Western Rites
|This biographical article about a French academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a theologian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|