This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||July 19, 1930|
|Died||October 11, 2018(aged 88)|
|Occupation||Poet, short story writer, journalist, translator|
Fatos Arapi (July 19, 1930 – October 11, 2018) was an Albanian poet, short story writer, translator and journalist. Arapi's publications have been highly praised by his readers and his peers and have been awarded various national and international poetry prizes. In 2008 Arapi became the first Albanian poet to win the Golden Wreath Award (Struga Poetry Evenings Award).
Arapi was a pioneer of free verse and experimental poetry in 1960s Albanian literature. He wrote about the maritime universe. He authored more than twenty-five books including six poetry collections and many short stories and novels. He translated the works of Sappho, Pablo Neruda and Nikola Vaptsarov into Albanian. He was the editor-in-chief of two anthologies: Songs of the Peoples and Anthology of Turkish Verse.
Arapi made his debut in published poetry in the second half of the fifties, and in 1962 and 1966 he published two poetry collections, Poetic Paths and Poems and Verses. Later came Rhythm of Iron, Give me a name, Gloria Victis and Solar Eclipse. Arapi was also known for his versatile prose. He wrote several novels, including Wild Geese, Snow Cove, and Headless Genius. He was also the editor-in-chief of two anthologies: Songs of the People and Anthology of Turkish Verse.
Arapi died on 11 October 2018.
- Shtigjet poetike (Poetic Paths), 1962
- Poema dhe vjersha (Poems and Verses), 1966
- Ritme të hekura (Rhythms of Iron), 1968
- Më jepni një emër (Give Me A Name), 1972 (later banned by Enver Hoxha's regime)
- Gloria victis, 1997
- Eklipsi i endrrës (Solar Eclipse), 2002
- Patate të egra (Sour Potatoes), 1970
- Dikush më buzëqeshte (Someone Was Smiling At Me), 1972
- Gjeniu pa kokë (Headless Genius), 1999
- Partizani pa emër (The Anonymous Partisan), 1962
- Qezari dhe ushtari i mirë Shvejk (Caesar and the Good Soldier Švejk), 1995
- "Obituary: Fatos Arapi, one of Albania's greatest modern poets, passes away". Tirana Times. October 12, 2018. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Fatos ARAPI Archived 2010-02-21 at the Wayback Machine albanianliterature.net
Albanian writer Fatos Arapi passed away today, October 11, 2018, Oculus News