|"Fastest Girl in Town"|
|Single by Miranda Lambert|
|from the album Four the Record|
|Released||June 25, 2012|
|Genre||Country, country rock|
|Miranda Lambert singles chronology|
"Fastest Girl in Town" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Miranda Lambert. It was released in June 2012 as the third single from Lambert's album Four the Record. The song was written by Lambert and Angaleena Presley.
"Fastest Girl in Town" is a moderate up-tempo song written by Miranda Lambert and Angaleena Presley. The song's female narrator details the relationship she has with her love interest as being edgy and dangerous ("You got the bullets / I got the gun / I got the hankerin' for gettin' into something") and portrays them as two rebels on the run ("I hit the bottle / You hit the gas / I heard your '65 can really haul some ass"). In the final verse, the protagonist makes mention of seeing police lights and admits that if they are pulled over, she will charm the officer while her boyfriend takes the heat for whatever crimes they've committed together, chiding her man with declarations that she is crazy and cannot be slowed down, because "[he's] running with the fastest girl in town."
Country music critics were divided in their opinions of the song. Taste of Country's Billy Dukes gave the song 5 out of 5 stars, comparing it to Lambert's own attitude-driven hits "Kerosene" and "Gunpowder & Lead," while complimenting the song's sound and the unique structure of "four verses, two furious guitar solos and no real bridge." In contrast, Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song an F, criticizing the song for having "lazy songwriting" and saying that "It’s one of those rare songs that manages to try too hard and be too lazy at the same time." Similarly, Country Music Review gave the song a 3/10, saying that Lambert's "veering dangerously close to self-parody."
"Fastest Girl in Town" debuted at number 54 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week ending June 2, 2012, several weeks before the single was officially released.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||72|
|US Billboard Hot 100||47|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||3|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||7|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||28|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Billy Dukes (June 2012). "Miranda Lambert, 'Fastest Girl in Town' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved July 3, 2012.
- "Single Review: Miranda Lambert, “Fastest Girl in Town”". Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Miranda Lambert – "Fastest Girl In Town"". Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- Megan Pacella (June 28, 2012). "Miranda Lambert's 'Fastest Girl in Town' Video to Star Danica Patrick". Taste of Country. Retrieved July 3, 2012.
- "Miranda Lambert Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved September 6, 2012.
- "Miranda Lambert Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- "Miranda Lambert Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Miranda Lambert Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved July 4, 2012.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Miranda Lambert – Fastest Girl in Town". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved May 1, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.