|Local authority||London Borough of Redbridge|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|1 May 1903||Opened (GER)|
|29 November 1947||Closed (LNER)|
|1 May 1948||Opened (Central line)|
|24 March 1958||Goods yard closed|
|London transport portal|
Fairlop is a London Underground station in Fairlop in east London, England, which is on the Central line of the London Underground. It has been in Travelcard Zone 4 since 2 January 2007. It is on the north side of Forest Road, in Fairlop, just north of Barkingside.
The station was opened on 1 May 1903 as part of the Great Eastern Railway's (GER) Woodford to Ilford "loop" or branch line (the Fairlop Loop). This line, designed to stimulate suburban growth, had a chequered career. As a consequence of the 1921 Railways Act, the GER was merged with other railway companies in 1923 to become part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER). As part of the 1935 - 1940 New Works Programme of the London Passenger Transport Board, the majority of the loop was to be transferred to form the eastern extensions of the Central line. Although work commenced in 1938, it was suspended on the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 and work only recommenced in 1946.
Steam train services serving Fairlop were suspended on 29 November 1947 and electrified Central line passenger services, to Central London via Gants Hill, finally commenced on 31 May 1948. The line from Newbury Park to Hainault through Fairlop had been electrified for empty train movements to the new depot at Hainault from 14 December 1947.
Few alterations took place during this transfer, and the station remains a fine example of an Edwardian railway station including canopies that still bear the GER symbol in the bracketry.
The station has toilet facilities, a car park, and a waiting room on both westbound and eastbound platforms.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures (2007–2017)" (XLSX). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. January 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Station Usage Data" (CSV). Usage Statistics for London Stations, 2018. Transport for London. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2020.
- "Station Usage Data" (XLSX). Usage Statistics for London Stations, 2019. Transport for London. 23 September 2020. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- Hardy, Brian, ed. (March 2011). "How it used to be - freight on The Underground 50 years ago". Underground News. London Underground Railway Society (591): 175–183. ISSN 0306-8617.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fairlop tube station.|
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
Line and station open
|Great Eastern Railway
Woodford and Ilford line
Line and station open