|Industry||Media & Events|
|Founder||Edmund Fairchild and Louis E. Fairchild|
|Headquarters||New York City|
|Parent||Capital Cities Communications|
The Walt Disney Company
Penske Media Corporation
Fairchild Media is a publisher of fashion trade magazines, websites, and conferences for the fashion, retail and beauty industries. Fairchild Media brands include Women’s Wear Daily, Footwear News (FN), Beauty Inc, M and Fairchild Summits.
Fairchild Publications was founded in 1892 when Edmund Fairchild, a peddler, took over the Daily Trade Record (later the Daily News Record and DNR), a failing newspaper that covered the men's clothing business. In June 1910, an insert called "Women's Wear" first appeared in the Record; a month later, Fairchild published it as a standalone publication, known today as Women's Wear Daily.John Fairchild, grandson of Edmund Fairchild assumed management of Women’s Wear Daily in 1955 and transformed it from a trade journal to a leading fashion and cultural newspaper.
In 1968, the company—then named Fairchild Publications—was purchased by Capital Cities Communications. In 1996, The Walt Disney Company acquired Capital Cities/ABC. In 1997, Disney announced its intention to sell Fairchild, but it wasn't until 1999 that it sold Fairchild to Advance Publications, the parent company of Condé Nast Publications, for $650 million.
In 2010, Fairchild launched Menswear and took over the consumer-centric Style.com, previously part of Condé Nast Publications. In 2011, Fairchild Fashion Group was renamed Fairchild Fashion Media; in October of that year, FFM launched Style.com/Print, a print magazine extension of the brand. In 2012, FFM sold its Fairchild Books division to Bloomsbury Publishing for $6.5 million. The same year, it acquired Fashion Networks International, a blog network with contributors that included Anna Dello Russo, Bryanboy, Rumi Neely, and Derek Blasberg.
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Over the years, the company's portfolio has included the following publications:
- Beauty Inc.
- Electronic News
- Footwear News
- Golf Pro Merchandising
- Home Furnishings Daily
- M (1983-1992; 2012–present)
- Metalworking News
- Supermarket News
- Children's Business
- Palmeri, Christopher (August 19, 2014). "Penske Media Buys Fairchild Trade Magazines". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Axelrod, Nick (July 31, 2008). "The Changing Face of WWD". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Horyn, Cathy (20 August 1999). "THE MEDIA BUSINESS; Breaking Fashion News With a Provocative Edge". The New York Times. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- Godfrey, Donald G.; Leigh, Frederic A. (January 1, 1998). Historical Dictionary of American Radio. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 62. ISBN 0313296367. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Kuczinsky, Alex (August 20, 1999). "Merger Planned for 2 Giants of Fashion Publishing". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Bosman, Julie (September 27, 2005). "A Consolidation at Condé Nast Gives Magazines One Overseer". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Times, L.A. (November 24, 2008). "DNR RIP, men's fashion trade paper dead at 116". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Wilson, Eric (October 26, 2011). "Finally, the Web at Hand". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Publishing, Bloomsbury (April 2, 2012). "Acquisition of Fairchild Books". Bloomsbury Publishing. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Wicks, Amy (May 15, 2012). "Fairchild Fashion Media Acquires Blogger Network". Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Bazilian, Emma (August 19, 2014). "Condé Nast Sells Fairchild Fashion Media to Penske". Adweek. Retrieved 30 August 2014.