This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Strathcona was the eldest son of Donald Howard, 3rd Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal, and his wife the Hon. Diana Evelyn, daughter of Gerald Loder, 1st Baron Wakehurst.
He succeeded his father in the barony in 1959 and took his seat on the Conservative benches in the House of Lords. He served under Edward Heath as a Lord-in-waiting (government whip in the House of Lords) from 1973 to 1974 and as Joint Under-Secretary of State for the Air Force in 1974. After the Conservatives lost power in 1974 he was Joint Deputy Leader of the Opposition in the House of Lords between 1976 and 1979. When the Conservatives returned to office in 1979 under Margaret Thatcher, he was appointed Minister of State at the Ministry of Defence, a post he held until 1981. He lost his seat in the House of Lords after the passing of the House of Lords Act 1999.
Marriages and issue
- Hon Jane Elizabeth Stirling Howard (born 23 January 1955)
- Hon Katharine Mary Howard (born 11 September 1956)
- Hon Caroline Anne Howard (born 30 March 1959)
- Donald Alexander Euan Howard (born 24 June 1961), 5th Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal
- Hon Andrew Howard (born 17 August 1963)
- Hon Emma Laura Louise Howard (born 17 August 1963)
The marriage ended in divorce in June 1977. Strathcona married secondly Patricia (née Thomas), widow of John Middleton, in February 1978.
He was succeeded to the barony by his eldest son, Donald Alexander Euan Howard in 2018.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Donald Stirling Palmer Howard
| Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal
Donald Alexander Euan Howard