Diocese of Long Island
|Territory||Brooklyn, Nassau County, Queens, Suffolk County|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province II|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Incarnation, Garden City|
|Co-cathedral||St. Ann & the Holy Trinity Church|
|Bishop||Lawrence C. Provenzano|
Geralyn Wolf (Assistant Bishop)
The Episcopal Diocese of Long Island is the diocese of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America with jurisdiction over the counties of Kings, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk, which comprise Long Island, New York. It is in Province 2 and its cathedral, the Cathedral of the Incarnation, is located in Garden City, as are its diocesan offices.
On the Feast of Theodore of Tarsus, September 19, 2009, Lawrence C. Provenzano was ordained and consecrated as Bishop Coadjutor of the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island. He officially took office as Bishop of Long Island at the Diocesan Convention November 14, 2009, and was seated at the Cathedral of the Incarnation on November 22, 2009.
List of bishops
The bishops of Long Island have been:
4. James P. deWolfe, (1942–1966)
5. Jonathan G. Sherman, (1966–1977)
6. Robert C. Witcher, (1977–1991)
7. Orris George Walker, (1991–2009 )
History of the Diocese
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2009)
- Episcopal Church Annual, 2006, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Morehouse Publishing, p. 225-230
- Episcopal Church Annual, 2006, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Morehouse Publishing, p.340
- "MANY BEQUESTS TO CHARITY.; Will of Dr. Ordronaux D... - The New York Times" (PDF). nytimes.com. March 29, 1908. Retrieved 2009-02-20.