This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Diocese of Olympia
|Ecclesiastical province||Province VIII|
|Cathedral||St. Mark's Cathedral|
|Bishop||The Rt. Rev. Gregory Rickel|
Location of the Diocese of Olympia
The Episcopal Diocese of Olympia, also known as the Episcopal Church in Western Washington, is a diocese of the Episcopal Church in Washington state west of the Cascade Range. It is one of 17 dioceses and an area mission that make up Province 8. The diocese started as a missionary district in 1853 and was formally established in 1910. It comprises 25,490 members in 92 congregations.
The name of the diocese refers to the region of "Olympia" and is not related to the state capital Olympia. The see city is Seattle, with St. Mark's, Seattle the cathedral church of the diocese. The diocese is led by the Right Reverend Greg Rickel, the 8th Bishop of Olympia.
Eighth bishop elected
On May 12, 2007, the Rev. Gregory Rickel, 43, rector of St. James' Episcopal Church, Austin, Texas, was elected 8th bishop of Olympia. He was elected on the third ballot with four others on the ballot, including Nedi Rivera, then the diocese's suffragan bishop. Rickel was confirmed by a majority of bishops with jurisdiction (mostly diocesan bishops) and standing committees, his consecration was on September 15, 2007 at Meydenbauer Center in Bellevue.
These are the bishops who have served the territory now known as the Diocese of Olympia:
Bishops of Oregon and Washington territories
Bishops of Washington state
- Frederick W. Keator (1910–1924)
- S. Arthur Huston (1925–1947)
- Stephen F. Bayne, Jr. (1947–1960)
- William F. Lewis (1960–1964)
- Ivol Ira Curtis (1964–1976)
- Robert H. Cochrane (1976–1989)
- Vincent Waydell Warner, Jr. (1990–2007)
Sanford Zangwill Kaye Hampton (Assisting)
Bavi Edna Rivera, Suffragan Bishop (2006–2009)
- Gregory Rickel (2007–present)
Huston Camp and Conference Center
The Diocese owns a summer camp located in Gold Bar, WA next to the Wallace Falls State Park. Director Bill Tubbs for the last 20 years has overseen operation of both the Conference and Summer Camp seasons.
- "Gregory Rickel elected bishop of Olympia" Archived 2007-05-14 at the Wayback Machine, Episcopal News Service, May 12, 2007
- The Episcopal Church Annual. Morehouse Publishing: New York, NY (2005)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-07. Retrieved 2011-05-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Huston Camp and Conference Center Website", Huston Camp and Conference Center, August 3, 2007
- Official Web site of the Episcopal Church
- Episcopal Diocese of Olympia website
- St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral
- Huston Camp and Conference Center website