Emperor Magus Caligula
|Birth name||Magnus Broberg|
|Also known as||Emperor Magus Caligula|
|Born||23 May 1973|
|Genres||Black metal, death metal|
|Associated acts||Dark Funeral|
God Among Insects
Emperor Magus Caligula (Magnus "Masse" Broberg; born 23 May 1973) is a Swedish extreme metal musician best known as the former vocalist, bassist and lyricist of Swedish black metal band Dark Funeral, performing for the band between 1995 and 2010. He has also been the vocalist of death metal bands Demonoid, replacing Christofer Johnsson, and Sanctification. He was the original vocalist for Hypocrisy and has featured in other extreme metal bands including Dominion-Caligula (with former Dark Funeral secondary guitarist Dominion) and God Among Insects. He has also performed backing vocals for the Swedish black metal band Sportlov.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Beliefs
- 3 Gazziero murder controversy
- 4 Film
- 5 Discography
- 6 References
Broberg was born in Ludvika.
Caligula is a practitioner of LaVeyan Satanism, and while he has on one hand distanced himself from National Socialist black metal, as well as the Nazi ideology and the "attitude at that time," he has also said that aspects of Nazi ideology were "not that wrong" and that the Nazi concentration camps were bad, but not "that horribly bad." Like many other black metal musicians, he has generally assumed an apolitical stance, although he expressed disdain for former Islamic terrorist leader Osama bin Laden, with his audience when playing live. He has also denounced Roman Catholic priests due to widespread child molestation allegations.
Gazziero murder controversy
Caligula was quoted as being "somewhat impressed" by the premeditated murder of Fr. Faustino Gazziero, a Catholic priest, by Dark Funeral fan Rodrigo Orias at the Metropolitan Cathedral in Santiago, Chile, further stating that "He deserves some credit. You're not supposed to say that, but I don't care." Although he suggested the possibility that "the music triggered him somehow," he denied Dark Funeral's music being the direct cause of Orias' murder of Gazziero.
Caligula also recalled having met Orias at a Dark Funeral concert in 2003, where he burnt a cross on Orias' arm at his request with a Cuban cigar.
Caligula made an appearance in the Swedish zombie film Die Zombiejäger, playing a humorous part of a necrophile. Dark Funeral also provided two songs for the film, Godhate, which is played during the film's opening credits and Thus I Have Spoken, which is played during a fight scene.
- Vobiscum Satanas (1998)
- Teach Children to Worship Satan (2000)
- Diabolis Interium (2001)
- Attera Totus Sanctus (2005)
- Angelus Exuro pro Eternus (2009)
God Among Insects
- World Wide Death (2004)
- Zombienomicon (2006)
- A New Era Rises (2000)
The Project Hate
- Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate
- Masse's myspace Archived 6 March 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "Century Media Records – Witchery: : Hello Caligula, goodbye Legion!". Century Media Records. 15 July 2011. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- YouTube – Dark Funeral – Interview (Episode 276)
- "DARK FUNERAL :: Interview at". Metal-district.de. 13 May 2007. Archived from the original on 14 August 2007. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- DARK FUNERAL Vocalist Says He Was 'Somewhat Impressed' By Fan's Murder Of Chilean Priest Archived 5 September 2009 at the Wayback Machine