Emmett Reid Dunn (November 21, 1894 in Alexandria, Virginia – February 13, 1956) was an American herpetologist noted for his work in Panama and for studies of salamanders in the Eastern United States. He attended Haverford College as an undergraduate and received his PhD from Harvard University. After receiving his PhD, he taught at Smith College. He left Smith to study on a Guggenheim Fellowship, following which he became a professor of biology at Haverford College. He was also curator of reptiles and amphibians at the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia. He served as editor of Copeia from 1924 to 1929.
- Anolis dunni H.M. Smith, 1936 – Dunn's anole
- Atractus dunni Savage, 1955 – Dunn's ground snake
- Geophis dunni K.P. Schmidt, 1932 – Dunn's earth snake
- Hydromorphus dunni Slevin, 1942 – Dunn's water snake
- Kinosternon dunni K.P. Schmidt, 1947 – Colombian mud turtle
- Micrablepharus dunni Laurent, 1949 – Dunn's tinyfoot teiid
- Porthidium dunni (Hartweg and J.A. Oliver, 1938) – Dunn's hognose pitviper
- Sibon dunni J.A. Peters, 1957 – Dunn's snail sucker
- Sinonatrix dunni (Malnate, 1968)
- Sphaerodactylus dunni K.P. Schmidt, 1936 – Dunn's least gecko
- Liasis mackloti dunni Stull, 1932 – Wetar python
- Mastigodryas boddaerti dunni (L.C. Stuart, 1933) – Dunn's tropical racer
- Micrurus dissoleucus dunni Barbour, 1923 – Dunn's pygmy coral snake
This author abbreviation is not to be confused with Dunn in botany, where it refers to Stephen Troyte Dunn.
- "Dunn, Emmett Reid (United States 1894-1956)". Western Kentucky University. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Beolens, Bo; Watkins, Michael; Grayson, Michael (2011). The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. xiii + 296 pp. ISBN 978-1-4214-0135-5. ("Dunn", pp. 77-78).
- "The Code Online". International Commission of Zoological Nomenclature.
- Hoff CC, Sharp AJ, Moore WG (1956). "Resolution of Respect: Emmett Reid Dunn, 1894-1956". Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America. 37 (3): 87–88. JSTOR 20165430.
- Schmidt KP (1957). "Emmett Reid Dunn, 1894-1956". Copeia. 1957 (2): 75–77. JSTOR 1439389.
|Wikispecies has information related to Emmett Reid Dunn|
|This article about an American zoologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|