Ellen van Wolde
Ellen van Wolde
Van Wolde studied at the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome, and the University of Bologna. In 2005 she was elected member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 2011, she became a Knight of the Order of the Netherlands Lion.
Van Wolde is known for her view that in the Genesis creation narrative, the Hebrew verb bara does not mean "to create" but to "spatially separate", and that "the traditional view of God the Creator" is now untenable, since "the Earth was already there when he created humans and animals." In 2017 she published Separation and Creation In Genesis 1 and Psalm 104, a Continuation of the Discussion of bara, in which she lists, expands and substantiates arguments for the meaning of bara as separate.
In 2009 her book Reframing Biblical Studies. When Language and Text Meet Culture, Cognition, and Context was published in which she explained her method of analysis.
In 2016, together with physicist Klaas Landsman, she compiled a book about the role of coincidence in science: The Challenge of Chance. A Multidisciplinary Approach from Science and the Humanities
Some recent papers
- Ellen van Wolde (2017). "Separation and Creation In Genesis 1 and Psalm 104, a Continuation of the Discussion of bara". Vetus Testamentum 67, pp. 611-647.
- Wolde, E. J. van (2013). "One Bow or Another? A Study of the Bow in Gen 9:8-17". Vetus Testamentum 63, pp. 124-149.
- Wolde, E. J. van (2012). "Outcry, Knowledge, and Judgment in Genesis 18-19". In D. Lipton (Ed.), Universalism and Particularism at Sodom and Gomorrah: Essays in Memory of Ron Pirson Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, pp. 71-100.
- Wolde, E. J. van & R. C. Rezetko (2011). "Semantics and the Semantics of ב��א: A Rejoinder to the Arguments Advanced by B. Becking and M. Korpel". The Journal of Hebrew Scriptures 11(9).
- Wolde, E. J. van (2008), "Sentiments as Culturally Constructed Emotions: Anger and Love in the Hebrew Bible". Biblical Interpretation. A Journal of Contemporary Approaches 16, pp. 1-24.
- About Ellen van Wolde
- "Ellen van Wolde". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "Vijf lintjes aan Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen". Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Alleyne, Richard (8 October 2009). "God is not the Creator, claims academic". The Telegraph. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Ellen van Wolde (2017), Separation and Creation In Genesis 1 and Psalm 104, a Continuation of the Discussion of bara, Vetus Testamentum 67 (2017) 611-647
- Wolde, E.J. van (2009). Reframing Biblical Studies. When Language and Text Meet Culture, Cognition, and Context, Winona Lake (IN): Eisenbrauns.
- Landsman, K. (Ed), van Wolde, E. (Ed) (2016). The Challenge of Chance. A Multidisciplinary Approach from Science and the Humanities, Springer. Downloadable from SpringerLink under Open Access licence.