Esteve-Coll was head of learning resources at Kingston Polytechnic from 1977, and in 1982 became the first female director of the University of Surrey Library. Esteve-Coll was the first woman director of a national arts collection when she was appointed as director of the Victoria and Albert Museum in 1987, succeeding Sir Roy Strong. She resigned in 1994, midway through her second term as director, to take up the Vice-Chancellorship of the University of East Anglia. Dr. Alan Borg succeeded her as its new director, taking the post on 1 October 1995.
Esteve-Coll served as Vice-Chancellor of the University of East Anglia from 1995–97, but was forced to step down after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She said at the time: "It is with real sadness and disappointment that I must acknowledge that I am not able to lead the university into the 21st century." She served as Chancellor of University of Lincoln for seven years, as well as being a Trustee of the Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures since its foundation in Jan 1999.
Esteve-Coll received the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon in November 2005 in recognition of her "outstanding contribution to the promotion of Japanese culture and studies to British people". In November 2008, she was presented with an honorary doctorate of arts and the title chancellor emerita during her farewell ceremony at Lincoln Cathedral.
- Books by My Bedside (1989).
- "Debrett's - The trusted source on British social skills, etiquette and style-Debrett's". Debretts.com. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Esteve-Coll, Elizabeth (1938–) | Encyclopedia.com". www.encyclopedia.com. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- Library, University of Surrey (8 March 2019). "To celebrate #IWD2019, we'd like to recognise the achievements of Dame Elizabeth Esteve-Coll, our first woman Director of @surreylib in 1982. Photo credit: @UniOfSurrey Archives (US/PH/2/7/10 ©University of Surrey) #surreylib #uniofsurrey #BalanceforBetterpic.twitter.com/mgl9ESLnpC". @surreylib. Retrieved 8 March 2019. line feed character in
|title=at position 144 (help)
- "V&A directors past and present". Vam.ac.uk. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- Michael Sanderson. The History of the University of East Anglia, Norwich. Books.google.com.au. p. 387. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Esteve-Coll is to retire | Times Higher Education (THE)". Times Higher Education. 5 January 2017. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- Vice-Chancellors of the University of East Anglia - Reviews, Description & more. BetterWorldBooks.com. ISBN 9781157204213. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "University of Lincoln bids farewell to Chancellor". Lincoln.ac.uk. 15 October 2008. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Interview with Founders and Staff « Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures". Sainsbury-institute.org. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Embassy of Japan in the UK". Uk.emb-japan.go.jp. 3 November 2005. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Appointments | Times Higher Education (THE)". Times Higher Education. 5 January 2017. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- IFLA Section of Art Libraries Annual Report — September 1997 – August 1998
- Interview with Dame Elizabeth Esteve-Coll
| Chancellor of the University of Lincoln