|Born||September 30, 1967|
Astoria, Queens, New York, USA
|Area(s)||Letterer, penciller, inker, writer|
Misery Loves Sherman
|Awards||Harvey Award 2008|
Eliopoulos is known as a prolific letterer, in particular for hand-lettering the first 100 issues of the ongoing Savage Dragon series, even after much of the comic book industry (including Eliopoulos himself, on other titles) had come to rely on computer-generated fonts for dialogue; this was done at Savage Dragon creator Erik Larsen's request; Larsen preferring the individual look of hand-lettered dialogue.
He designed the fonts for Marvel Comic's in-house computer lettering unit. He has also contributed lettering work to Valiant Comics, DC Comics, and other publishers. For Dark Horse Comics, Eliopoulos wrote and/or drew some Star Wars stories.
Eliopoulous is also known for his comic strip Desperate Times, which showcases art admittedly inspired by the work of Bill Watterson of Calvin and Hobbes fame. Desperate Times features the misadventures of bachelor losers Marty and Toad, which ran as a back-up feature in Savage Dragon, and later Desperate Times comics from Savage Dragon publisher Image Comics and AAArgh! Comics, a part of After Hours Press.
Eliopoulos quoted in interview about art inspiration.
|“||Visually. I was REALLY into Bloom County at the time--still am--and that spoke to me more. But I liked his (Watterson's) zaniness as well. It pushed me to be a better cartoonist. I realized that comic strips didn't have to look so bad--they could look amazing. Between the two is where I would love to do a strip. The all-out humor of Bloom County with the quality art of a Calvin and Hobbes.||”|
Following the September 11 attacks, Eliopoulos contributed a story to a Marvel Comics benefit book about how his family was affected by the event, which shares the date of his wedding anniversary.[volume & issue needed]
He is the artist and co-writer on Marvel Comics' former back-up feature and current series of one-shot comics, Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius, teamed with writer Marc Sumerak. The first one-shot in the series was nominated for an Eisner Award and a Harvey Award in 2005.
On January 14, 2014 Dial Books published I am Amelia Earhart and I am Abraham Lincoln, the first two books in writer Brad Meltzer's series of children's books, Ordinary People Change the World, which are illustrated by Eliopoulos. Subsequent books released in the series have focused on other historical figures such as Martin Luther King, Jr., Albert Einstein, Rosa Parks, Helen Keller, Lucille Ball and Jackie Robinson. Eliopoulos promoted the series during an October 7, 2016 appearance on the NBC talk show Late Night with Seth Meyers, which included a live drawing demonstration in which Meyers participated.
Doug Zawisza, reviewing the 2011 Fear Itself miniseries for Comic Book Resources, praised Eliopoulos' lettering, singling issue #4 in particular, for which he positively compared Eliopoulous' work to letterer John Workman, to whom Zawisza felt Eliopoulos was paying homage.
- 2002 and 2003 Wizard Fan Award "Favorite Letterer"
- 2007 "Best Letterer" Eagle Award
- 2008 "Best Letterer" Harvey Award, for Daredevil
- 2006 "Best Letterer" Eisner Award
- 2006 "Best Letterer" Eagle Award
- 2008 "Special Award for Humor" Harvey Award, for Franklin Richards
- 2008 "Best letterer" Eagle Award
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2008)
- Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius (writer, artist and letterer with co-author Marc Sumerak, Marvel Comics)
- Civil War (letterer, Marvel Comics)
- Kick-Ass (letterer, Marvel/ Icon Comics)
- Eliopolous's LinkedIn profile. Retrieved July 22, 2008.
- "People to Watch in 2008", (201), January 2008.
- Contino, Jennifer. "ABCs with Orzechowski," Comicon.com: The Pulse (Dec. 30, 2003). Retrieved January 3, 2010. Archived June 5, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Misery Loves Sherman. Accessed April 6, 2012.
- "Noted author and illustrator to visit Maplewood bookstore". NorthJersey.com. August 25, 2016.
- "Thursday, Sept. 8: MEET 'ORDINARY PEOPLE' ARTIST CHRISTOPHER ELIOPOULOS". Chicago Tribune. 2016.
- Late Night with Seth Meyers (October 7, 2016). NBC. Season 4, Episode 12.
- Zawisza, Doug (July 6, 2011). "Review for Fear Itself #4". Comic Book Resources.
- 2008 Harvey Award Winners, Comic Book Resources, September 28, 2008
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chris Eliopoulos.|
- Official website
- Misery Loves Sherman Chris Eliopoulos' Webcomic
- Chris Eliopoulos at the Comic Book DB
- Desperate Times Daily @ ComicBookGazette.com A New Page of Chris Eliopoulos' Desperate Times Comic Every Day