Egoism is an ethical theory that treats self-interest as the foundation of morality.
Latin word "ego" meaning "I".
- Ethical egoism, the doctrine that holds that individuals ought to do what is in their self-interest
- Psychological egoism, the doctrine that holds that individuals are always motivated by self-interest
- Rational egoism, the belief that it is rational to act in one's self-interest
The terms "egoism" and "egotism" may also refer to:
- Egotism, an excessive or exaggerated sense of self-importance
- Solipsism (sometimes called egoism), the belief that only one's self exists, or that only the experiences of one's self can be verified
- Egoist anarchism, a form of anarchism, as most often represented by Max Stirner
- Egocentrism, lack of emotional obligation to "put oneself in other peoples' shoes"
Philosophers who developed philosophical systems of egoism
|Look up egoism, egoistic, or self-importance in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Altruism, the selfless concern for the welfare of others
- Cogito ergo sum
- Enlightened self-interest, a philosophy in ethics which states that persons who act to further the interests of others (or the interests of the group or groups to which they belong), ultimately serve their own self-interest.
- Individualism, a focus on the individual as opposed to society
- Individualist anarchism, anarchism that exalts the supremacy of the individual
- Machiavellianism, a tendency to deceive and manipulate others for personal gain
- Post-egoism, a philosophy aiming beyond egoism
- Selfishness, denoting the precedence given in thought or deed to the self, i.e., self-interest or self concern
- Selfism, a pejorative term referring to any philosophy, doctrine, or tendency that upholds explicitly selfish principles as being desirable
- Suitheism, the belief in self as a deity
- "egoism - Definition of egoism in English by Oxford Dictionaries". Oxford Dictionaries - English. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "ego - Origin and meaning of ego by Online Etymology Dictionary". Etymonline.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.