Egbert Haverkamp-Begemann (6 March 1923 – 5 August 2017) was a Dutch and American art historian and writer.
Born in Naarden, he spent most of his childhood in Siberia where his father worked as an engineer. Returning, via Morocco, to the Netherlands in the late 1930s, he finished his gymnasium high school in Dordrecht and initially studied law, but soon art history in Amsterdam and Utrecht. In the early 50s he was curator of drawings and later paintings at the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam. He completed his PhD with a monograph on Willem Buytewech in December 1958 with Jan Gerrit van Gelder at Utrecht University. He emigrated to the United States in 1959 at the age of 36.
He was a Professor of art history at the Institute of Fine Arts, NYU and Yale University.
Most of his books have been published by the Yale University Press.
His notable books are:
- Creative Copies: Interpretative Drawings from Michelangelo to Picasso
- European Drawings and Watercolours in the Yale University Art Gallery, 1500-1900: Volume II - Plates
- Rembrandt, the Nightwatch
- Art And Autoradiography: Insights Into The Genesis Of Paintings By Rembrandt, Van Dyck And Vermeer
- The Robert Lehman Collection
- The Robert Lehman Collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Anne-Marie S. Logan (ed.): Essays in northern European art: presented to Egbert Haverkamp-Begemann on his sixtieth birthday. Davaco, Doornspijk 1983.
- "Egbert Haverkamp-Begemann Passed Away". 6 August 2017. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- Obituary in the New York Times, August 9, 2017
- Egbert Haverkamp Begemann Archived 2018-03-15 at the Wayback Machine at the Digital Album Promotorum at Utrecht University.
- "Egbert Haverkamp-Begemann". Nyu.edu. Archived from the original on 2017-05-01. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "Dictionary of Art Historians". arthistorians.info. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "Egbert Haverkamp-Begemann". Ias.edu. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "Egbert Haverkamp Begemann". Ias.edu. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "Haverkamp-Begemann, Egbert - Yale University Press". Yalebooks.yale.edu. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "Rembrandt, the Nightwatch /". Worldcat.org. Retrieved 2017-07-23.