Edward Watts is an English filmmaker who is known for making documentaries and narrative-focused films. He has created films in conjunction with UK television network Channel 4 and ITN Productions. He is known for films including For Sama (2019), Escape From ISIS (2015) and The Mega Brothel (2015).
His 2015 film Escape From ISIS was commissioned by Channel 4 as part of their long-running current affairs documentary programme Dispatches. The film told the story of the treatment of women living under the Islamic State.
For Sama won the L'Œil d'or prize for best documentary at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival, the Top Jury Prize at the 2019 Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival and the 2019 South by Southwest Audience Award and Documentary Feature Award.
- "Dispatches – Escape from Isis review: a story of appalling brutality, and a glimmer of hope". theguardian.com. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "The Mega Brothel, Channel 4, review: 'sharp-eyed'". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "SKY NEWS AND ITN DISPATCHES WIN INTERNATIONAL EMMYS® FOR NEWS & CURRENT AFFAIRS". iemmys.tv. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Bafta TV Awards 2016: Winners list". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Cannes: 'For Sama' Takes Golden Eye Documentary Prize". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Hot Docs Awards: PBS Frontline's 'For Sama' Takes Top Jury Prize". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "SXSW Awards: 'Alice,' 'For Sama' Win Top Prizes". variety.com. Retrieved 25 May 2019.