On 10 February 1835 Reade was appointed as Joint Magistrate and Deputy Collector of Belah. On 8 September 1836 he was appointed as Magistrate & Collector of Goruckpore. He was given additional responsibility, on 24 October 1836, as Deputy Opium Agent for management of provision of opium in Goruckpore. He remained collector of Goruckpore (at least) till October 1844.
During 1857 Reade was Commissioner of the Fifth Division and Commissioner of the Benares Division. From 10 September 1857 to 30 September 1857 he held the position of Lieutenant-Governor of the North-Western Provinces as an In charge (acting). He retired from the East India Company in 1860 and returned to the family home in Ipsden, Oxfordshire, where he served as a magistrate for Oxfordshire and Berkshire.
His works include:
- The patronage bureaucracy in north India By Peter Penner
- New General Catalog of Old Books and Authors, Author names starting with Re
- Bengal By Calcutta Historical Society
- The Asiatic journal and monthly register for British India and its dependencies #244
- The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Miscellany By East India Company #203
- The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Miscellany By East India Company #292
- Parliamentary papers By Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons
- Parliamentary papers By Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons #105
- The India List and India Office List By India Office, Great Britain #130
- "E. A. Reade, 'The Benefice of North Stoke ...'". St John's College. Retrieved 30 April 2017.
- "Mr. Lawrence E. Reade". Evening Post. LXXX (41): 5. 17 August 1910. Retrieved 30 April 2017.
- INDIA-L Archives
- English village architecture By R. J. Brown
- Bulletins and other state intelligence #2149
- Empire and Information By Christopher Alan Bayly
- Official Descriptive and Illustrated Catalogue By Great Exhibition, Robert Ellis, Great Britain. Commissioners for the Exhibition of 1851 #859
J. R. Colvin
| Lieutenant Governor of the North-Western Provinces
10 September 1857 – 30 September 1857
Colonel H. Fraser