Edinburgh Evening News cover (29 March 2016)
|Headquarters||Edinburgh, Scotland, UK|
|Sister newspapers||Scotland on Sunday|
The Edinburgh Evening News is a daily newspaper and website based in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was founded by John Wilson (1844–1909) and first published in 1873. It is printed daily, except on Sundays. It is owned by JPIMedia, which also owns The Scotsman.
Much of the content of the Evening News concerns local issues such as transport, health, the local council and crime in Edinburgh and the Lothians. The paper has a significant number of journalists covering sport, with a dedicated reporter assigned to each of the city's football teams, Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian.
According to ABC figures for February 2014, the paper's circulation was 28,000, down from 32,160 in the preceding February. In 2016 this had dropped to 18,362, falling again to 16,660 by February 2018.
For the first time in the paper’s history, 2018 saw the introduction of a rival publication in Edinburgh.
Owned by Reach PLC, Edinburgh Live launched in September 2018.
Alongside its sister publications The Scotsman and Scotland on Sunday, the Edinburgh Evening Edinburgh News was formerly headquartered in the Scottish capital at Barclay House at 109 Holyrood Road (now the main business address of Grand Theft Auto video game makers, Rockstar North). The newspapers vacated the premises in 2014 downsizing to Orchard Brae House on Queensferry Road, in a move which saved the Johnson Press group (as it then was) approximately one million pounds per year in costs.
- Bibliography – Newspapers – Edinburgh Evening News & Dispatch Archived 8 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- Fraser, Douglas (27 February 2014). "Further declines in Scottish newspaper sales". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Linford, Paul (27 February 2013). "ABC figures: How all the regional dailies performed". HoldTheFrontPage.co.uk. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- "Yorkshire Post tops ABC league but all dailies see sales decline". HoldtheFrontPage.
- "ABC Edinburgh Evening News". abc.org.uk. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Johnston Press: News Letter owner bought over by new company". BBC News. 17 November 2018. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- Greenslade, Roy (28 April 2014). "Johnston Press saves £1m a year with office move for The Scotsman". Guardian News & Media Limited . Guardian. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
|This article related to Edinburgh, Scotland, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Scottish newspaper-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|