|ESPN NHL 2K5|
Martin St. Louis on the cover of ESPN NHL 2K5
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 2, Xbox|
|Genre(s)||Traditional ice hockey simulation|
ESPN NHL 2K5 is an ice hockey simulation made by ESPN Videogames (now 2K Games) and published on the Xbox and PlayStation 2 consoles. ESPN's Gary Thorne on play-by-play commentary and Bill Clement on color commentary calls all the action. This is also the last NHL Game to be published by Sega, and the last to branded by ESPN.
The game includes an extensive franchise mode where you can perform many team management functions, including hiring staff, managing player contracts, editing players, scouting new players and sending players back to minor teams for training. It also includes more traditional game modes like season, playoffs, exhibition and shootout. The game manual is also built into the software.
The 2004's edition of the game also introduces an advanced control setting which allows much more flexible control of your player, using the entire control pad rather than only a few buttons.
The North American release of the game features a number of specific game additions, including the ability to play the Heritage Classic, the first time an official outdoor hockey game was represented in a video game.
The controls in the game allow you to have full stick control on both offense and defense. On the offensive side you can control your dekes by moving the right analog stick. This does a deke in the direction the analog stick was pushed. Also on offense when you want to deke out a goalie you hold the preset button(ex: for Advance hold L1+O)and move the stick with the left analog stick and then release to shoot. This provides for exciting dekes, but also on offense you can protect the puck from poke-checking defensemen by hold circle and choosing where you want to protect it with the analog stick. On the other side the defensive stick control allows you to skate backwards and also swing your stick across the ice to hit the puck away from the opposing player.
- Sapieha, Chad. "ESPN NHL 2K5". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- EGM staff (October 2004). "ESPN NHL 2K5". Electronic Gaming Monthly (183): 99.
- Reiner, Andrew (September 2004). "ESPN NHL Hockey 2K5 [sic]". Game Informer (137): 103. Archived from the original on October 31, 2005. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- The Enforcer (December 2004). "ESPN NHL 2K5". GamePro: 144. Archived from the original on April 4, 2005. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- Gee, Brian (October 7, 2004). "ESPN NHL 2K5 Review". Game Revolution. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- Navarro, Alex (September 1, 2004). "ESPN NHL 2K5 Review". GameSpot. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- Steinberg, Steve (September 8, 2004). "GameSpy: ESPN NHL 2K5 (Xbox)". GameSpy. Archived from the original on December 17, 2005. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- Valentino, Nick (September 6, 2004). "ESPN NHL 2K5 - PS2 - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on December 30, 2008. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- Goldstein, Hilary (September 1, 2004). "ESPN NHL 2K5". IGN. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "ESPN NHL 2K5". Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine: 99. October 2004.
- "ESPN NHL 2K5". Official Xbox Magazine: 78. October 2004.
- Hill, Jason (February 17, 2005). "Terrific compilation". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- "ESPN NHL 2K5 for PlayStation 2 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "ESPN NHL 2K5 for Xbox Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
ESPN NHL Hockey
| ESPN NHL 2K5