|European Union directive|
|Title||Directive on the re-use of public sector information|
|Made by||European Parliament & Council|
|Made under||Art. 95|
|Journal reference||L 345, 2003-12-31, pp. 90–96|
|Came into force||2003-12-31|
|Commission proposal||C 365 E, 2000-12-19, p. 223|
|EESC opinion||C 85, 2003-04-08, p. 25|
Directive 2003/98/EC on the re-use of public sector information, otherwise known as the PSI Directive, is an EU directive that encourages EU member states to make as much public sector information available for re-use as possible. Previous to the creation of this directive this area was left to member states to regulate. This directive now provides a common legislative framework for this area.
The Directive is an attempt to remove barriers that hinder the re-use of public sector information throughout the Union.
The ePSIplus web portal (which has since been renamed "ePSIplatform") was set up as a result of this directive.
The PSI Directive was subsequently replaced by the Open Data Directive (EU) 2019/1024 which entered into force on 16 July 2019. Member states have until 16 July 2021 to transpose the new directive into national law.
"Public sector information" includes " any content whatever its medium (written on paper or stored in electronic form or as a sound, visual or audiovisual recording)" when produced by a public sector body within its mandate. However the directive explicitly excluded a number of cases, including:
(d) documents held by public service broadcasters and their
subsidiaries, and by other bodies or their subsidiaries for the fulfilment of a public service broadcasting remit; (e) documents held by educational and research establishments, such as schools, universities, archives, libraries and research facilities including, where relevant, organisations established for the transfer of research results; (f) documents held by cultural establishments, such as museums, libraries, archives, orchestras, operas, ballets and theatres.
- Directive 2003/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 November 2003 on the re-use of public sector information (OJ L 345, 31.12.2003 p. 90)
- Existing rules on re-use of public sector information. Retrieved 2010-01-21
- Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions – Re-use of Public Sector Information : review of Directive 2003/98/EC. Retrieved 2010-01-21
- "The new PSI Directive – as good as it seems?". 19 April 2013.
- European Commission (18 July 2019). "European legislation on open data and the re-use of public sector information". Digital Single Market — European Commission. Retrieved 23 September 2019. Landing page.
- European Commission (26 June 2019). "Directive (EU) 2019/1024 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2019 on open data and the re-use of public sector information — PE/28/2019/REV/1". Official Journal of the European Union. L 172: 56–83. Retrieved 23 September 2019.