This article does not cite any sources. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dr Terrible's House of Horrible|
|Created by||Graham Duff|
|Written by||Graham Duff|
|Directed by||Matt Lipsey|
|Presented by||Steve Coogan|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Executive producer(s)||Steve Coogan|
|Cinematography||Francis De Groote|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Baby Cow Productions|
|Distributor||2 Entertain (DVD-Video)|
|Original network||BBC Two|
|Original release||12 November –|
17 December 2001
Dr Terrible's House of Horrible spoofs the British horror films of Amicus Productions, Hammer Film Productions, and Tigon British Film Productions, and most particularly, such noted 1970's anthology series, such as Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected, and Thriller, with Amicus' films, and both series' utilising different, well-known ensemble casts in each episode.
Horror film veterans Honor Blackman, Graham Crowden, Sheila Keith, Joan Greenwood, and Angela Pleasence each guest-starred in an episode, in a pastiche of their earlier film performances. Mark Gatiss, John Thomson, Simon Pegg, Ronni Ancona and Warwick Davis also performed in the series.
Steve Coogan presents each episode as Dr. Terrible, and plays various roles throughout.
And Now the Fearing… (episode 1 in DVD order, episode 4 in transmission order)
- Three people trapped in a lift retell their recent nightmares in 1970s London. Spoofs Amicus Productions' The Vault of Horror (1973).
- Frenzy of Tongs
- Gentleman inventor Nathan Blaze must battle the inscrutable Chinese criminal Hang Man Chan in turn-of-the-century London. Spoofs Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu character, Hammer Film Productions' The Terror of the Tongs (1961), and the Doctor Who serial The Talons of Weng-Chiang (1977).
- Curse of the Blood of the Lizard of Doom
- Dr Donald Baxter's experiment with burn victims lead him down a dangerous path as he uses the regenerative powers of lizards on his patients with terrifying results.
Lesbian Vampire Lovers of Lust (episode 4 in DVD order, episode 1 in transmission order)
- Hans Brocken and his lovely new virgin wife Carmina are on their honeymoon when they encounter a castle owned by the mysterious Countess Kronstien. She and her ladies seem unusually interested in Carmina. Spoofs Hammer Films Productions films, especially the Karnstein Trilogy (1970–71).
- Voodoo Feet of Death
- A famous ballroom dancer loses his feet to a pair of gigantic scissors. After a quick foot transplant his feet start taking on a murderous mind of their own. Spoofs The Hands of Orlac (1960).
- Scream Satan Scream!
- Witch locator Captain Tobias Slater travels the north of England accusing beautiful young women of being witches and to avoid the pyre they must sleep with him, until he runs across a real coven and Slater is cursed. Spoofs Witchfinder General (1968) and Cry of the Banshee (1970).