This article does not cite any sources. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Down to Earth|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||5|
|No. of episodes||40|
|Running time||approx. 60 mins|
|Original network||BBC One|
|Original release||28 August 2000 –|
6 March 2005
Down to Earth is a BBC One television series first broadcast in 2000 about a couple who start a new life on a Devon farm. The early episodes of the series were based on a series of books written by Faith Addis about their real-life move from London to Devon.
The music in the series was composed by Sheridan Tongue and Tony Hadley, and had the song "After All this Time" as its opening and closing credits in series 2 and 3.
The first series starred Pauline Quirke as Faith Addis, a teacher, and Warren Clarke as her long-suffering husband Brian, as they encountered various misfortunes and difficulties in adjusting to their new rural lifestyle, which isn't helped by their uncooperative children's attitude to moving to a new location. The series was generally light in tone, although took a tragic turn following Brian's death in a road accident in series three.
In 2003 the Addis family leave the farm for good. They are replaced by the Brewer family. Matt Brewer (Ian Kelsey) is Brian's cousin. He leaves the big city with his young new wife Frankie (Angela Griffin) and his three children from his first marriage to move to Devon to take over the farm.
Two years later the Brewer family moved back to the city and were replaced by Jackie (Denise Welch), Tony Murphy (Ricky Tomlinson), and their wayward daughter Emma (Zara Dawson), who owned the local pub. The final series was broadcast in 2005.
- Pauline Quirke – Faith Addis
- Warren Clarke – Brian Addis
- Toby Ross-Bryant – Marcus Addis
- Ellie Beaven – Sarah Addis
- Alexandra Stone – Molly Addis
- Katy Reeves – Celeste Addis
- Pat Keen – Addy Addis(mother in law)
- Ian Kelsey – Matt Brewer
- Angela Griffin – Frankie Brewer
- Ram John Holder – Wilson Steadman
- Elizabeth Bennett – Daphne Brewer
- Inga Brooksby – Becky Brewer
- Charlotte Redpath – Lucy Brewer
- Thomas Byrne – Sam Brewer
- Denise Welch – Jackie Murphy
- Zara Dawson – Emma Murphy
- Liam Hess – Jake Smith
- Shelley Conn – Kerry Jamil
- Ricky Tomlinson -Tony Murphy
- Jason West – Adam / Mose
The show was broadcast in an hour format, with each show averaging 48 minutes. The first series featured 6 episodes, the 2nd, 3rd & 4th had 8 episodes, and the final season 10. So far only series 1 has been released on DVD, by Acorn Media UK.
- Forever Green (ITV series with very similar theme)
|This article related to a BBC television programme is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|