|Former editors||Kathleen Fleury, Paul Doiron, D.W. Kuhnert, Davis Thomas, Duane Doolittle|
|Company||Down East Enterprise|
|Based in||Camden, Maine|
Down East: The Magazine of Maine is the principal general interest monthly magazine covering the U.S. state of Maine. It is based in Camden, Maine with a second office in Portland, Maine. Down East was founded in 1954 by Duane Doolittle and loosely modeled on The New Yorker. It covers a range of topics including travel, food, the arts, the environment, politics, business, and lifestyle in the state of Maine.
Down East enjoys the largest paid circulation of any publication in the state, peaking at more than 80,000 during the summer, with 53% of its readership aged 55 and above, 38% aged 35–54, and 9% 18–34. Global readership exceeds 380,000. It is Maine’s only audited and verified magazine. The magazine is published twelve times a year by its parent company, Down East Enterprise, Inc., which also publishes Shooting Sportsman and Maine Homes magazines. In 2013, Down East Enterprise sold a book publishing arm to Rowman & Littlefield.
In 2013, Kathleen Fleury became the first woman to serve as editor in chief, a position she held until 2018. Author Paul Doiron is a former editor in chief, and Bob Fernald is President, CEO and Publisher. Martha Stewart and Sam Sifton have served as guest editors.
Down East Magazine and Vermont Life Magazine together founded the International Regional Magazine Association in 1960. The magazine is a member of the International Regional Magazine Association, the City and Regional Magazine Association, and the Circulation Verification Council.
Down East Marketplace
The 1,700-square-foot Down East Marketplace, complete with an "Experience Maine" interactive kiosk and Down East–branded TV programming about Maine, is located in the Portland Jetport, selling magazines, books, food, clothing, travel accessories, and gifts.
Lobster roll competition
The magazine held the inaugural Down East Lobster Roll Festival in July 2017 in Portland, Maine with a central focus of selecting the best lobster roll. The Winner of the "World’s Best Lobster Roll" went to Freshies Lobster in Park City, Utah. The restaurant uses lobster meat and New England-style buns flown in from Maine. BeetleCat, of Atlanta, Georgia, took top honors in 2018.
- ". Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- Ulrich's Periodical Directory
- "Our Company". Down East. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Down East Magazine - Rockport, ME". Citymag.org. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- "Advertise with Down East". Down East. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Rowman & Littlefield Buys Down East Book Assets". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Down East magazine taps Maine native as first female editor-in-chief". BDN. 2013-09-18. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Down East Magazine names Brian Kevin Editor in Chief". PenBay Pilot. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "The Martha Stewart Blog : Blog Archive : Serving as Guest Editor for Down East, the Magazine of Maine". www.themarthablog.com. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- Sifton, Sam (2019-03-31). "What to Cook This Week". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "IRMA". Regional Magazines. Archived from the original on 2013-10-21. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Brand Detail". Paradies. Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- Arnett, Dugan (2017-07-11). "Utah winners of Best Lobster Roll competition didn't think they'd stand a chance". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- Inc, Down East Enterprise. "Down East Magazine Announces the Winner of the "World's Best Lobster Roll" Competition!". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2019-06-18.