Douglas Maurice MacDowell, classical scholar. Having taught at Allhallows School and then Merchant Taylors' School, he moved into academia. He was a lecturer at the University of Manchester before joining the University of Glasgow. He was Professor of Greek at Glasgow between 1971 and 2001, during which time he introduced courses on Ancient Greek civilisation which did not require knowledge of the language.(1931–2010) was a British
In 1991, MacDowell was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE), Scotland's national academy. In 1993, he was elected a Fellow of the British Academy (FBA), the United Kingdom's national academy for the humanities and social sciences.
- MacDowell, Douglas M. (1978). The Law in Classical Athens. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. ISBN 978-0801411984.
- MacDowell, D. M. (1986). Spartan Law. Edinburgh: Scottish Academic Press. ISBN 978-0707304700.
- MacDowell, Douglas M. (1995). Aristophanes and Athens: an introduction to the plays. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0198721581.
- MacDowell, Douglas M. (2009). Demosthenes the orator. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0199287192.
- "MacDowell, Prof. Douglas Maurice". Who Was Who. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2016. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U25567. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "Biography of Douglas Maurice MacDowell". The University of Glasgow Story. University of Glasgow. Retrieved 11 November 2018.
- "Professor Douglas MacDowell". The British Academy. Archived from the original on 30 September 2018. Retrieved 11 November 2018.