|' ' "|
|In Unicode||U+0027 ' APOSTROPHE (HTML |
U+0022 " QUOTATION MARK (HTML
|See also||U+00BB » RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK|
U+201E „ DOUBLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK (HTML
U+03003 〃 DITTO MARK (HTML
|Different from||U+2033 ″ DOUBLE PRIME (HTML |
|Black pens, box of twenty||.....||$2.10|
|Blue " " " "||.....||$2.35|
In English, the abbreviation "do." has sometimes been used.
In China the corresponding historical mark was two horizontal lines bronze script from the Zhou Dynasty, as in the example at right (circa 825 BCE). In script form this became , and is now written as ; see iteration mark.(also the symbol of "two"), found in
The word ditto comes from the Tuscan language, where it is the past participle of the verb dire (to say), with the meaning of "said", as in the locution "the said story". The first recorded use of ditto with this meaning in English occurs in 1625.
For Chinese, Japanese and Korean, there is the specific Unicode character U+3003 〃 DITTO MARK in the range CJK Symbols and Punctuation. This facilitates the setting of both marks on a single horizontal line in Asian vertical text.
- "Ditto mark". Oxford Dictionaries. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
the mark is a symbol made from two apostrophes
- "Ditto mark". Collins Dictionaries. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
two small marks (") placed under something to indicate that it is to be repeated
- "English Language Learners Definition of ditto (Entry 1 of 2)". Merriam Webster. Retrieved 3 November 2020.
- "Ditto". Cambridge Dictionaries. Retrieved 30 December 2019. but the Cambridge Dictionary of Business English on the same page uses the CJK ditto mark (〃)
- Angus Stevenson; Maurice Waite, eds. (18 August 2011). The Concise Oxford Dictionary. ISBN 9780199601110.
- K.4375 and File:Library of Ashurbanipal synonym list tablet.jpg
- Definition at The Free Dictionary
- "Banque de dépannage linguistique: Guillemets itératifs" [Linguistic help desk: Iterative quotes] (in French). Office québécois de la langue française. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- définition de guillemet itératif et synonymes de guillemet itératif ... Le Parisien. Retrieved 17 November 2020.