|Language(s)||English, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Russian|
|Picture format||576i 16:9 SDTV|
|Launched||1 October 1998|
|Closed||31 December 2020|
|Former names||Discovery Civilisation Channel (1998-2008)|
(at time of closure)
|Ziggo Netherlands||Channel 203|
|Caiway Netherlands||Channel 112|
|Kabel Noord Netherlands||Channel 254|
|CAI Harderwijk Netherlands||Channel 134|
|Stichting Kabelnet Veendam Netherlands||Channel 75|
|Telenet Belgium||Channel 350 (Flanders)|
|KPN Netherlands||Channel 84|
|T-Mobile Netherlands||Channel 63|
|Tele2 Netherlands||Channel 206|
|Proximus Belgium||Channel 80 (Flanders)|
|Ziggo GO Netherlands||ZiggoGO.tv (Europe only)|
Discovery World is a former European pay television channel which featured programming in the fields of travel, culture and history. It used to be a pan-european television channel. Discovery World offered a mix of history, culture, real-life stories, investigation, mystery shows, factual series and documentaries. At time of closure its programming was mainly in English and subtitled in Dutch.
In Europe the channel started as Discovery Civilisation, also called Discovery Civilisation Channel, in the UK the 1 October 1998, alongside the Sky Digital's launch and later followed by other European countries. Discovery Civilisation focused on history-related programs. On 1 November 2007, it was re-branded as Discovery Knowledge in the UK. On 18 April 2008 Discovery Civilisation changed its name into Discovery World across Europe and extended its program lineup to also include programs about culture, crime and "mysterious phenomena".
In 2013, the channel got replaced by Discovery Turbo Xtra in Central and Eastern Europe. On 31 March 2016, the channel got replaced by Discovery Family in Africa and the Middle East. The network has closed down in Italy, Portugal and Scandinavia.
- Prototype This!
- Amazing Medical Stories
- Discovery Atlas
- Dr. G: Medical Examiner
- Everest: Beyond the Limit
- Final 24
- More Industrial Revelations Europe
- Most Evil
- Polish Mountaineers in the Himalayas
- Polish Socialist Films - From the Archives of WFO
- Crime Investigations
- Psychic Witness
- Zero Hour
- "Which TV channels were on sky digital at launch ?". Digital Spy Forums. January 2, 2011.
- "Discovery launches Knowledge channel". Digital Spy. 20 September 2007.
- "Discovery Knowledge". Heavenly. Archived from the original on 14 September 2010. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- "DNI Fast Facts: EMEA" (PDF). Discovery Communications. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-26. Retrieved 2009-05-15.
- "Kanalbyte hos Discovery". Resumé. April 18, 2008. Archived from the original on December 25, 2008.
- Jan-Hein Visser (April 17, 2008). "Discovery Civilisation wordt Discovery World". Totaal TV.
- "DStv replaces Discovery World with Discovery Family". Telecompaper. March 28, 2016.
- "Change Log Discovery World Italia". KingOfSat.net. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- "Change Log Discovery World Portugal". KingOfSat.net. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- "Change Log Discovery World Nordic". KingOfSat.net. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- Jarco Kriek (25 November 2020). "Zender minder bij Ziggo, KPN en T-Mobile: Discovery World stopt" (in Dutch). TotaalTV.nl. Retrieved 26 November 2020.