Diocese of Guildford
|Bishop||Andrew Watson, Bishop of Guildford|
|Suffragan||Jo Bailey Wells, Bishop of Dorking|
|Archdeacons||Paul Davies, Archdeacon of Surrey|
Martin Breadmore, Archdeacon of Dorking
The Diocese of Guildford is a Church of England diocese covering nine of the eleven districts in Surrey, much of north-east Hampshire and a parish in Greater London. The cathedral is Guildford Cathedral and the bishop is the Bishop of Guildford. Of the two provinces of the church, it falls within the Province of Canterbury.
Of the eleven secular districts of Surrey, eight fall within the diocese however Spelthorne is part of the Diocese of London, and Tandridge District and the Reigate portion of Reigate and Banstead is contained in the Diocese of Southwark.
A secular district of Hampshire and a small part of a second fall within the diocese: these are Rushmoor and Hart District respectively. Fleet, Church Crookham, Cove, Minley, Blackwater and Ewshot are the main settled parishes in Hart district not in the Diocese of Winchester, part of Rowledge is also in that district rather than Surrey. Chessington falls within the diocese in Greater London.
The diocesan Bishop of Guildford (Andrew Watson) is assisted by the Bishop suffragan of Dorking (Jo Bailey Wells). The suffragan see of Dorking was re-created in 1968, having briefly existed in the Diocese of Winchester from 1905 to 1909. The diocese usually operates an informal area scheme in which the diocesan bishop mostly oversees Surrey archdeaconry and the suffragan Dorking, dividing the episcopal workload between the western and eastern parts of the diocese respectively, and each to work with an archdeacon as well as the administrative staff. Alternative episcopal oversight (for parishes in the diocese which reject the ministry of priests who are women) is provided by the provincial episcopal visitor, Norman Banks, Bishop suffragan of Richborough, who is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop of the diocese in order to facilitate his work there.
There are also two former bishops living in the diocese who are licensed as honorary assistant bishops:
- 2006–present: Michael Baughen, retired Bishop of Chester, lives in Godalming.
- 2009–present: Christopher Herbert, retired diocesan Bishop of St Albans, lives in Wrecclesham and is also licensed in Winchester and Chichester dioceses.
- Archdeaconry of Surrey (established 12th century) – Archdeacon of Surrey: Paul Davies; generally overseen by the diocesan Bishop of Guildford
- Archdeaconry of Dorking (established 1928) – Archdeacon of Dorking: Martin Breadmore; generally overseen by the Bishop suffragan of Dorking
Publications and work
The eight-issue magazine is entitled The Wey and summarises charitable and parish news undertaken by the churches and schools connected with the Diocese and its members.
Around 90 Church schools are financially linked to the Diocese of Guildford, including two Secondary schools.
The Bishop of Guildford's Foundation supports faith-linked projects and groups that respond to local needs and help build stronger communities. It expresses a sense of communal solidarity with people in need and provides a mechanism for wealthier parishes and church members to channel support to needier groups. Grants are made to a wide variety of causes, including charities working with people who have disabilities, family support projects, youth and children's workers, organisations developing employment for vulnerable people, community organisations, projects for the homeless, school healthy breakfast clubs restricted to the most disadvantaged or troubled families, the Guildford Street Angels team, a less mobile elderly group in Box Hill, and play activities and facilities for children in two of the neediest housing estates.
Typically non-parochial ministry in the working hours of local priests, chaplains are appointed to 14 schools, to 10 further education colleges/universities, 23 hospitals and homes, the four prisons, Guildford and Woking town centres, Community of St Peter and Acorn Christian foundation, to the Ambulance Service. The diocese subsidises a BSL qualified Chaplain Among Deaf People. 
- "No. 33269". The London Gazette. 26 April 1927. p. 2672.
- History Archived 2005-12-31 at the Wayback Machine The Church of England: Diocese of Guildford. Retrieved 28 October 2013
- Parishes and Deaneries Diocese of Guildford. Retrieved 28 October 2013
- "Michael Alfred Baughen". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Christopher William Herbert". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- Magazine: The Wey Archived 2013-10-30 at the Wayback Machine Diocese of Guildford
- Stories About Our Work Diocese of Guildford
- Stories About Our Work Diocese of Guildford