|Founder(s)||T. V. Ramasubbaiyer|
|Founded||6 September 1951|
Dina Malar was founded by T. V. Ramasubbaiyer on 6 September 1951 at Thiruvananthapuram. The operations were moved to Tirunelveli in 1957. New editorial and printing units were opened in Tirunelveli (1957), Trichy (1966), Chennai (1979), Madurai (1980), Erode (1984), Pondicherry (1991), Coimbatore (1992), Vellore (1993), Nagercoil (1996), Salem (2000).
The newspaper is printed in 10 cities in Tamil Nadu namely Chennai, Coimbatore, Erode, Madurai, Nagercoil, Pondicherry, Salem, Tiruchirappalli, Tirunelveli and Vellore. as well as in Bangalore, Karnataka and Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. As of 2016, the newspaper has a circulation of 9,42,812.
The following supplements are published by Dina Malar:
|Friday||Feature/Magazine||Siruvar Malar (Children's magazine), Metro (Chennai Metro)|
|Saturday||Feature/Magazine||Velai vaippu malar|
|Sunday||Feature/Magazine||Varamalar (Family magazine), Cinema Pakkam, Kannamma (Women empowerment feature)|
|All days||Feature||Astrology, Thozhil (Business page), District Supplement, Tea kadai bench (Political Gossip)|
|Specials||Magazine/Tabloid||Diwali malar, pongal malar, Navrathri special, Varuda malar (Year guide)|
In 2018 ,The Cobrapost released an undercover investigation and video which exposed the executives of Dinamalar speaking of promoting Hindutva and promoting the agenda of RSS and BJP. The executives explained about promoting the character assassination of opposition leaders like Rahul Gandhi, Mayawati and Akhilesh by using words like Pappu, bua and babua respectively.
On January 2019, Dinamalar posted a body-shaming cartoon of the BJP’s Tamil Nadu President Tamilisai Soundararajan. The cartoon dicepted the BJP leader playing ring toss, makes her look wantonly disheveled.
In October 2009, Dina Malar published an article claiming that several Tamil film actresses were involved in prostitution along with pictures and names. The South Indian Film Artistes' Association petitioned to have the senior sub editor arrested and staged a rally condemning the same. The senior sub editor of the newspaper, Lenin was arrested. He was released on the next day on protests from Chennai Press Club, Madras Union of Journalists, Press Trust of India and The Indian Newspaper Society. Dina Malar stated that the news was obtained from ethical sources and there was no secondary agenda.
In September 2019, A Judicial Magistrate in Krishnagiri sentenced the Editor and the Publisher of Tamil daily Dinamalar to two years’ imprisonment in a defamation case filed by a police inspector.I N. Sulthan Arifeen passed the order on a private complaint lodged by inspector Muthamizh Mudalvan, who was posted in Krishnagiri in 2005. The complainant said in a column “Tea Kadai Bench”, published in the daily, it was alleged that he received kickbacks from those trading in illicit liquor that was transported from Bengaluru into Tamil Nadu via Hosur. Besides, the report alleged that he had acquired properties through illegal means. Though he had sent a legal notice to the daily seeking damages of ₹10 lakh, the publication did not respond to it. The lawyers representing the editor and the publisher had argued that it was the duty of the media to hold those in positions accountable. However, the magistrate held that the article was not backed with evidence and lent to “gossip mongering”. The court said the write-up, that had not named the complainant in the allegations, however, ended up directly naming him as a conversational tool.
- "Dina Malam founder's contributions recalled". The Hindu. 26 March 2009.
- "Submission of circulation figures for the audit period July - December 2015" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- "Dinamalar: We have a lot of same wavelength with the BJP family is around, says Director". Cobrapost. Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- "About us, Dinamalar". dinamalar.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- ":: Cobrapost ::". web.archive.org. 25 December 2019. Retrieved 25 December 2019.
- Operation-136 II, Dinamalar, retrieved 25 December 2019
- January 31, The News Minute; IST, 2019 at 03:49 AM (30 January 2019). "Cartoon Body Shames Tamil Nadu BJP Chief, She Slams the Perversion". The Quint. Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- "Dinamalar editor arrested". hotclix.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Dinamalar press release". dinamalar.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/editor-publisher-awarded-two-years-jail-for-defamation/article29345365.ece. Missing or empty