Diego Baldenweg with Nora Baldenweg & Lionel Baldenweg
|Also known as||GREAT GARBO|
|Genres||Film score, Music in advertising|
|Occupation(s)||composers, music producers, film score composers, musicians|
|Labels||Great Garbo Music|
They were the first Swiss composers to be nominated for the World Soundtrack Awards (Public Choice) in 2019. Their musical range often moves within classic orchestral, subtle electronics and lyrical/non-lyrical vocals.
The siblings work together as a team (Diego Baldenweg (composer), Nora Baldenweg (co-composer), Lionel Baldenweg (co-composer)) and together they founded the music production company GREAT GARBO in 2004. Since then the siblings have composed and produced the music to over 300 international advertising campaigns for brands such as Carlsberg, Mastercard, Nivea, Sony and Dove.
They have composed music for many films such as Otfried Preußler's bestselling children's book adaptation "The Little Witch" starring Karoline Herfurth, the film La Femme et le TGV starring Jane Birkin and for Til Schweiger's US remake of his German film Head Full of Honey starring Nick Nolte, Matt Dillon and Emily Mortimer.
In 2019 they composed the entire original score to the Australian teenage sci-fi series The Unlisted (ABC/Netflix) created by Justine Flynn and produced by Polly Staniford and Angie Fielder. In this context they also produced, arranged and performed a remake of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" for the opening theme.
The Baldenweg siblings have worked with orchestras like the Czech National Symphony Orchestra, Macedonian Radio Symphony Orchestra and The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. Other notable collaborations include their work with American conductor David Zinman and the Tonhalle Orchestra for their score to "180°" and with British-Irish violinist Daniel Hope and the Zurich Chamber Orchestra for their score to "The Reformer Zwingli".
The Baldenwegs are voting members of the Art Directors Club, Swiss Film Academy, European Film Academy, Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts, Swiss Media Composers Association and the Australian Guild of Screen Composers.
|2005||Rascals on the Road||Michael Steiner||Kontra
|Collaboration with composer Adrian Frutiger|
Soundtrack released by Sony BMG
|2006||Cannabis||Niklaus Hilber||Vega Film|
|2010||180°||Cihan Inan||C-Films||Collaboration with conductor David Zinman and Tonhalle Orchester Zürich|
Soundtrack released by GREAT GARBO music / Praesens
Winner Suisa Prize “Best Original Music” Locarno International Film Festival
|2012||Summer Outside||Friederike Jehn||Goldenes Lamm
|Soundtrack released by GREAT GARBO music|
|2013||Hylas and the Nymphs (Short)||Lisa Brühlmann||ZHDK|
|2014||Aimless||Niklaus Hilber||Hesse Greutert Film|
|2016||Lina||Michael Schaerer||C-Films||Soundtrack released by GREAT GARBO music|
|La femme et le TGV (Short)||Timo von Gunten||BMC Films||Soundtrack released by GREAT GARBO music|
Finalist “Best Short Film Score” Music+ Sound Awards (International)
|2017||The Final Touch||Rolf Lyssy||Lang Film||Soundtrack released by Swiss Treasure Recordings / GREAT GARBO music|
Finalist “Best Feature Film Score” Music+Sound Awards (International)
|2018||The Little Witch
by Otfried Preußler
|Soundtrack released by Claussen+Putz Filmproduktion GmbH / Rambling Records Japan|
Winner “Best Original Score” Swiss Film Prize
|Zone Rouge||Cihan Inan||Abrakadabra Films||Soundtrack released by GREAT GARBO music|
|Head Full of Honey||Til Schweiger||Barefoot Films
|Co-composer Martin Todsharow|
|2019||The Reformer Zwingli||Stefan Haupt||C-Films
|Collaboration with violinist Daniel Hope and Zurich Chamber Orchestra|
Soundtrack released by C-Films / GREAT GARBO music
Nominated “Best Score of the Year” World Soundtrack Awards (Public Choice)
Nominated "Score of the Year (Top 10)" Movie Music UK Awards
Nominated "Best Original Score for a Drama Film" Movie Music UK Awards
|2019||The Unlisted||Justine Flynn
ABC Me / Netflix
|Soundtrack released by GREAT GARBO music|
Nominated for “Best Original Music in TV” AACTA Awards
by Simon Mayo
Awards and Nominations
- 2006 – Winner «Best Music» EDI Awards (Federal Department of Home Affairs) - "KUONI"
- 2006 – Winner «Best Music» EDI Awards (Federal Department of Home Affairs) - "Love Life – Stop Aids (Federal Office of Public Health)"
- 2010 – Winner «Best Film Music» Suisa Prize Locarno International Film Festival - "180°"
- 2011 – Nomination «Best Film Music» Swiss Film Award - "180°"
- 2014 – Shortlist «Best Music» Art Directors Club Switzerland – "SONY"
- 2015 – Shortlist «Best Music» Art Directors Club Switzerland – "SWISS LIFE"
- 2017 – Finalist «Best Short Film Score» Music + Sound Awards (International) - "La Femme et le TGV"
- 2018 – Finalist «Best Feature Film Score» Music + Sound Awards (International) - "The Final Touch / Die letzte Pointe"
- 2018 – Winner «Best Film Music» Swiss Film Award - The Little Witch
- 2019 – Nomination «Best Score of the Year» World Soundtrack Awards (Public Choice) - "The Reformer Zwingli"
- 2019 ��� Nomination «Best Original Music in TV» Australian Academy Award – AACTA - "The Unlisted"
- 2020 – Nomination «Score of the Year (Top 10)» and «Best Original Score for a Drama Film» Movie Music UK Awards  - "The Reformer Zwingli".
Besides her career in music, Nora Baldenweg simultaneously held positions in fashion publishing as Editor-at-Large/Paris Director (Russh), Editor-at-Large/Paris Director/Senior Editor (Indie), Editor-at-Large/Fashion features director (Material Girl) and was a contributing writer for Vogue Taiwan, Nylon, Dazed Digital and Wallpaper.
In May 2014 she relaunched the Paris-based magazine Modzik as Editor-in-chief. In May 2017 she became Editor-in-chief of UK-based magazine Lula. Since 2017 she works as a Creative Director (fashion) for various brands.
- "Making-Of Soundtrack Die Kleine Hexe / The Little Witch" – via www.youtube.com.
- "SoundTrack_Cologne 17 - Speakers". www.soundtrackcologne.de.
- "SWISS FILMS: News". www.swissfilms.ch.
- Awards, World Soundtrack. "Second Wave of Nominees 19th World Soundtrack Awards Revealed". World Soundtrack Awards.
- "Under-the-Radar Round Up 2019, Part I". May 28, 2019.
- website), GREAT GARBO-BALDENWEG : high quality music for international advertising campaigns & feature films (official. "GREAT GARBO - BALDENWEG : high quality music for international advertising campaigns & feature films (official website)". GREAT GARBO - BALDENWEG : high quality music for international advertising campaigns & feature films (official website).
- "PEOPLE". church-st-studios.
- "GREAT GARBO - BALDENWEG". cinando.com.
- "Diego, Nora & Lionel Vincent Baldenweg aka GREAT GARBO". March 5, 2019.
- "Edi. Der Schweizer Auftrags- und Werbefilmpreis". www.edinet.ch.
- "Dove's New "Beauty Patch" Ad Tells Women Low Self-Esteem Issues Are All In Their Head". Marketing Land. April 10, 2014.
- "The Little Witch" – via www.imdb.com.
- "The Unlisted" – via www.imdb.com.
- "The Unlisted". TV Tonight. September 11, 2019.
- "La femme et le TGV (2016) - IMDb" – via www.imdb.com.
- "Lina (TV Movie 2016) - IMDb" – via www.imdb.com.
- "180 °" – via www.imdb.com.
- "The Reformer. Zwingli: A Life's Portrait" – via www.imdb.com.
- "Diego Baldenweg, member of the European Film Academy: presentation". www.europeanfilmacademy.org.
- "Nora Baldenweg, member of the European Film Academy: presentation". www.europeanfilmacademy.org.
- "Lionel Vincent Baldenweg, member of the European Film Academy: presentation". www.europeanfilmacademy.org.
- "Post". composersguild.
- "Members | SMECA".
- "Australian Guild of Screen Composers | Directory of Members". composersguild.
- "DIE MUSIK ZUM FILM". zwingli-film.
- "2017 Finalists - Best Compositions". Music+Sound Awards.
- "2018 Finalists - Composition". Music+Sound Awards.
- "Schweizer Filmpreis". filmakademie.ch.
- "Winners & Nominees". www.aacta.org.
- "Nora Baldenweg Contributor Profile | Dazed". www.dazeddigital.com.
- "Lula Magazine appoints editor-in-chief". www.diarydirectory.com.
- Doze, Sébastien (September 9, 2014). "Une toute nouvelle formule pour Modzik!". Modzik.
- "Power Moves | Lula's New Editor-in-Chief, Tiger of Sweden Hires From Burberry". The Business of Fashion. May 18, 2017.